Forum home Plants

Agapanthus

ApplekandyApplekandy Posts: 6
I bought a few very tiny agapanthus plants back mid/ end Feb. They've been in the green house and haven't done anything at all really.... Just few leaves (maybe 4) but hardly anything I've repotted once. I'm now thinking about potting them into their final pot as the space in the greenhouse is getting a bit tight! Shall I plant more than one in a medium/large size pot or do agapanthus kick in really quickly in May/ June? Also, can anyone recommend a general feed? Thanks ????

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,356

only pot them on if they've filled their pots with roots. 

Give them some fish , blood and bone.

Devon.

mine too, but they are in a polytunnel.

Devon.
  • Donna-Donna- Posts: 6

OK chaps; Which Agapanthus have you got? the most common is africanus - it is just a bulb so the best thing to do is to go back to where they come from and grow best; Although there are lots and lots of hybrids now they are all basically the same.  Agapanthus grow in south Africa - in this country they need light and to have their crown in the sun - they will not grow in shade and will not flower for years if they are immature.  It is a little old fashioned but I give them the same rules an old gardener taught me years ago.  They LOVE being cramped, & I mean really cramped - this seems to stimulate them into flowering, this is borne out by putting them in the ground with lots of room and just getting 2-3 years of nothing but really big lush leaves, by cramping them you are tricking the bulb into thinking that it has to set seed & therefore flower.  So keep them warm and quite dry and stay calm, also dont bury the bulb too deeply - they will not like it! 

PS if you dont want to wait for your Blue Lollipops grow "poor mans Agapanthus" which are really cheap and quick - ALLIUMS - you get the same lovely flower shape without the wait...... Allium Christophii is a gem, please google. 

• mushermusher Posts: 389
    yesi agree with hosta, only pot em on when they look like their busting at the seams. And then only one pot up.

I  have about 20 - 30 different varieties and I'm sorry to disagree Donna, they don't "love being cramped" they like being snug, but not cramped.

Devon.

National collection holders Pine cottage plants in Devon:

" Agapanthus prefer any well drained ordinary soil in a sunny open position. Good deep soil cultivation andd preparation by adding organie matter will always give better results.

Whilst the very best plants are produced by growing them in the ground, excellent result and flowering can be achieved by cultivation in containers"

Devon.

I visited PCP last Autumn the boss told me they've just " given away" 500 , yes five hundred, different varieties to form the basis of another national collection. 

They're just keeping about 250 varieties which they've bred themselves.

Devon.
  • mushermusher Posts: 389
    If your thinking about planting them out.Put broken crock around the roots. That will make them feel as snug as a bug in a garden. Could have knocked me over with a feather last year mine finally flowered. My secret is show em a spade or fork. That will get them flowering lol