Planting a 16ft Leylandi - HELP

Dazza3Dazza3 Posts: 3

Hi 

I have a very large garden and I have purchased a 16ft Leylandi which is going to be 40 meter away from any building structure. But I dont know how to plant it. 

I have been reading for hours all about 
a)Multipurpose Compost
b) RootGrow 
c) Bonemeal
d) Multicote / Osmocote

My head is spinning! the Tree has cost alot of money so wanting to give is the best start possible. 

How best do I plant this using the above items? and do I use the current soil or just back fill with Multipurpose Compost and Rootgrow at the bottom of the hole touching the roots? 

Thanks
darren

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

oooh dear..............why?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

Your biggest problem will be getting it stable. That will catch a lot of wind,

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,914

Why on earth do you want a Leylandii that will put on three feet a year and be impossible to trim .?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Dazza3Dazza3 Posts: 3

Ok I have my reasons and have a hole all the way to other side of the world!

so what the best materials to use to plant it ? 

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,792

If that was my job to do, I wouldn't bother wasting my money on any of those products listed, not for a plant of this type. Completely unnecessary in my opinion.. there is also evidence that amending the planting holes can cause more harm than good.... those roots need to get out into your native soil as soon as possible not to be mollycoddled..

Even one this size I would just place straight into the hole...and back fill... the main thing you need to do, 2 things really, the first is to make sure it's very firmly planted, it must not be loose in the soil, so heeling it in with your boot all around pressing the soil in firmly...then water is the most essential... I would be wanting to put the hose on this plant at least once a week for some time until I see signs of establishment...

• seacrowsseacrows Posts: 59

You're going to need a seriously large tree stake to give it some stability until it gets its roots well into the topsoil and subsoil. If it is going to catch any strong wind, I.e. it's the tallest thing around, it won't take long for it to just pull out of the ground. You might even want to consider guy ropes for the first year. 

One good thing about Leylandii is that they will grow in almost anything and anywhere. It will probably appreciate the food from compost etc., but shouldn't need it. Myself, I'd reuse your soil from the planting hole, it's a bit heavier than compost and should weigh it down more. Leylandii can be thirsty plants though, especially while building a root network, so a regular soak will be essential.

We inherited a garden where someone thought planting a 'specimen' Leylandii 6ft from a boundary fence was a good idea image. Its a lovely, almost perfectly conical, yellow tinged conifer that is taller than our house. Wonderfully majestic, and the wood pigeons love it, but it has to come down in the near future because it's just too big image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,205

I would agree with all of the above.

Don't waste money on fancy compost, just bung it in. They are quite capable of looking after themselves, and then some.

Erect a veritable scaffold of stakes for the first two years.

Hire a rugby team to help heel it in.

Keep it watered.

Seacrows - they burn beautifully after a year's storage. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Dazza3Dazza3 Posts: 3

Thanks - will just back fill with the existing soil then. Its actually in a sheltered area and the hole is big! will get my friends round to heal it in with some glasses of wine LOL