Cuecumbers

I have grown cuecumbers before but this year I am having problems I brought some seedlings from homebase and they died, and I then brought some more from there which were more grown on and they have died can anyone help with any advice.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

Where are you keeping them Patrick?

• patrick 4patrick 4 Posts: 13

I am keeping them in a growhouse.

Could possibly be still a bit too cold for them to go straight out into an unheated growhouse. Did you harden them off first?

Mine are still indoors in the conservatory. I'm waiting for the nighttime temps to be higher before mine go out, probably mid to late may.

Ok,maybe I have been lucky with previous years ,I have got weather protective covers on the growhouse I have various other seedlings in there it just seems strange that the cuecumbers are the only ones to have suffered.

• My cucumber seeds germinated a couple of weeks ago in a cold GH but in a heated propagator. I have removed them from the heat now, but they are growing VERY slowly with only two leaves & a third one just beginning to form.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

I think this year with  me being so keen and my patience running out with the cold spring I have been caught out I will see if I can get some more plug plants when the weather warms up.

Strange indeed patrick, my first thought was cold as it's been so chilly recently. We had snow a couple of days ago.

Did you notice any problems before they died that might give a clue as to what went wrong? 

As you've grown them successfully before I assume that you didn't owerwater them, this can cause stem rot.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

The garden centres and supermarkets are selling tender plants with no warnings that any frost will kill them. Complain to where you bought them. They  really should come with a warning. I suppose they sell twice as many this way.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

Thanks for your advice I live in herts I thought they would be ok in the growhouse I did not know they were cold sensitive I do now lesson learnt and patience required.