Forum home Plants

Salvias...what am i doing wrong?

2»

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

thanks everyone for the replies, I don't think it is a slug problem as i go out and stare at both salvias on  daily basis looking for any sign of life  at all. I also planted a hot lips last year although i wasn't too keen on it and it has new growth on parts of it, i would have preferred the blue ones to survive but i will wait a month or so and see if anything happens. wish the garden centre had told me about taking cuttings, i did ask them if it would come back or not.

so if as it looks like i will be buying another one and i take cuttings (stupid question alert) and it's in my cold  utility room which gets same temps as a GH do i have to water it over winter or leave it to it once roots have established.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,994

You lucky old thing, they don't seem to sell all those in France.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

no room i'm afraid verdun, i've literaly got where the two salvias are/were otherwise i would. I love the blue ones & yes amistad was more purple (fibbing garden centre) but love how the bees make a hole in the side of the flower to get to the nectar, loved watching them do that.

thanks for that info on letting it almost dry out, it's one of those questions internet doesn't answer properly. 

• 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 547

I only planted salvia for the first time last year and they seem to be coming back well this spring, despite the very wet but rather mild winter.

I've got Caradonna which I understand is one of the more hardy varieties.  Will be taking as many cutting as I can this year for new plants.

• 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 547

Thanks for the advice Verdun.  In autumn or spring?  I'll give them another year of bulking up and then get all my free new plants!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,565

Is there really one called Micro Violin Music? 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.