Forum home Problem solving

Tree identification

Can anyone help to identify this tree? one pic is of it in autumn and the other one is it (in centre of pic, behind the two ugly conifers) in leaf. I love it as I think it's a very pretty tree would love to know what it is?

thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,625
    I can't enlarge your photos but it wouldn't help much even if I could.

Can you provide a photo of a leaf on a twig and a close up photo of the bark?

A wild guess might be European hornbeam.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • MackersMackers Posts: 21

Thanks pansy, these are better pictures, any ideas...?

• B3B3 Posts: 18,677

Love the top photo. Haven't a clue about tree though.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,488

could it be a Davidia involucrata - Handkerchief Tree?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 516

How about a small leaved lime?

• smallswansmallswan Posts: 86
    Yes, I was wondering if it is a lime ... lucky you Mackers: I can't get them to grow with me.
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,355

The leaves look like a Circis, did the tree have floweres before the leaves?

Thanks for responses, the tree doesn't have any flowers, seeds or fruit, just lovely leaves.

Done a quick Google search and looks like lime, circis hankerchief tree do...although the autocorrect of circis brought up circus trees which were all quite amusing!

Until I uploaded these pics on here I hadn't really noticed the heart shaped leaves, looking on rhs I think it might be a Katsura tree, anyone else got experience of this type of tree?

if that's what it is I recommend it, it has a lovely red/orange tint when it's coming into leaf and beautiful colour in Autumn.

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Definitely Cercidiphyllum japonicum, likes moist soil, ultimate size very dependent on what part of the UK you are in. Here in N.W England they grow to about 30-40 ft eventually, but on good soil ih the south they can reach 60 ft. Good autumn colour and autumn leaves are reputed to have the aroma of burnt sugar though I have never detected it.