Forum home Problem solving

Grass not growing

Please help, at wits end. I have tried many different ways to grow ordinary grass seed, using top soil and mixing the seed in, using compost and mixing, laying the seed then adding a tin layer of soil/compost, removing thatch and over seeding, sprinkling the seed with compost and soil.

I have read many and seen many guides saying to just rake it gently in to the ground.

Nothing seems to work

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

What exactly are you trying to do Shane?

• Shane6Shane6 Posts: 3

I have bare patches on the lawn, also we had new turf laid last year and the rain seemed to make the turf have a lot of thatch/moss.

I have tried to over-seed the turf after de-thatching and raked the seed in and I have re-seeded and adding compost/soil to the bare patches. just seems to lay on the turf doing nothing.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Okay with temperatures up and down like a yo-yo at the moment it's not surprising. Grass seed needs a constant temperature to germinate properly. The weather is going to settle temperature wise according to long range weather. I think all you need is a bit of patience really. A lot of people have had similar problems so you're not alone.

• Shane6Shane6 Posts: 3

OK Dave, thanks for your response.

• Yep, don't worry I'm having the same problem and have made a second attempt with new seed. It's probably just the timing. I've succeeded many times in the past so can't be my method.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,811

Is the grass in shade Shane ? That's the most common cause of moss, especially if you have trees or large shrubs nearby.  The rain has nothing to do with the creation of moss or thatch. Also, if the ground's compacted and has poor drainage it will tend to prevent good grass growth.

If you can resolve any of those issues ( if you have them ) that will help, but as the others have said, the weather hasn't been conducive to good germination and growth, so don't worry too much. If you leave it a few weeks, new seed sown then will come away quickly  image 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

I tend to seed grass seed in the autumn - it works for me....image

• KornoKorno Posts: 99

It needs a heck of a lot of sunshine (along with all you are doing which does sound right) I have the same kind of issues with my lawn. So don't worry, but you should stop wasting your energy and money on it for the moment and try again when we have decent weather and then you'll see surprisingly fast results image

• Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 136

Hi - I had similar problems with my lawn and after some really frustrating trial and error, I found (from lawnuk.com) "Sprogs & Dogs" grass seed - I sowed it (early Autumn time) and was just amazed.  If it wasn't hailing outside, I'd go take a pic of my gorgeous lawn for you!  It's not expensive, and now I use it to overseed other bits of lawn around the place whenever they need it.  It made all my lawn headaches go away image

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 968

Patience, patience, patience......it's been a cold spring.  Once the temperatures warm up it will grow and then you will need to keep it watered if there isn't much rain for about six weeks.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.