Forum home Talkback

Hellebores

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,520

I also read somewhere that hellebore don't like to be moved. I have one plant which has had at least 4 different homes in 2 different gardens image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down

Hi Runny

I found this article by Val Bourne who likes growing hellebores in pots so she can see the flowers better. Basically she seems to be saying that the plants need a deep root run, gritty soil, protection from summer sun and they are also greedy feeders. Hope that helps! image

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3316376/A-wonderful-sight-in-the-bleak-mid-winter.html

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down

Gorgeous colour Runny - I think I might need one of those. image

It's certainly a big plant in quite a small pot - definitely ready for a new home IMO. You might find it's better behaved if it's got plenty of room to get it's feet down and wiggle it's toes image 

Cut the flowers stems back to base when they fade. Remove any leaves if they start to fade or if they develop blackspot or other problems.

I remove all leaves from my hellebores at the start of winter / late autumn but they are in the ground and I do it to allow the flowers to shine out. I don't think I would do that it a pot - maybe a few if they are hiding the flowers.

Keep them well fed and watered but definitely not overwatered - they hate being waterlogged. Dappled shade sheltered from drying winds is a perfect position for them.  As Verdun mentioned - the foliage is a good addition to the border in summer so perhaps you could put the pot somewhere to add value through the summer too. Great plants! Enjoy image

Sorry Verdun - you snuck in while I was typing image

• Bob BobBob Bob Posts: 61

My hellebore had around 50 small babies growing around it this year. A little thinning out was required and I've now got 30 of them growing nicely in small pots. Let the root systems develop for a while and they'll get planted in the front garden which I'm replanting from scratch, one border at a time, on the cheap using only what's reseeded, cuttings and divisions from the back garden.....and whatever I can scrounge from elsewhereimage

The great thing about hellebores is that once they've germinated they require little to no care. Tough little blighters.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

I have had a large double flowered hellebore in a large deep pot for a few years and it does very well with masses of flowers.

SW Scotland