Forum home The potting shed

Average gardeners spending

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,595
    Topbird wrote (see)

Here is the latest mind game I play with my OH  image

I buy a pant for (say) £6 and as soon as possible I divide it into (say) 3 and then tell my OH I've made £18 worth of plants so that's a saving of £12...

With this method - the more you spend, the more you save - simples image

That sounds like the sort of logic my missus uses for her clothes shopping!  She'll buy 2 items both reduced from say £20 to £10 each and claim that she's saved £10.

She can't comprehend the idea that if she hadn't bought them in the first place she would have saved £20.  Women!!!!!  (Runs for cover.......)

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,762
    Well, Topbird, I certainly wouldn't spend 6.00 on pants. Not one pair anywayimage
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,934
    Lyn wrote (see)
    Well, Topbird, I certainly wouldn't spend 6.00 on pants. Not one pair anywayimage

Ooops - my post reads really weird with that typo doesn't it? imageimageimage

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Yep, spent at least that today. They said £47 a day, right?

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,078
    ??47 a year. Put a 0 on the end of it and that getting close.

I propogate a lot of my plants and save on cost but there is always something on my wish list when I peruse the plant catalogues. But what I try to do is always to buy plants that I can successfully propagate.
  • Some of your replies have had me in stitches!  I sometimes feel guilty when I buy yet ANOTHER plant or packet of seeds - but we all love gardening - right?  It gets us out of the house, fresh air, exercise, enjoyment & hopefully produces something for others to admire - more like a few hundred pounds a year spend for me.

• Think what it would cost to buy yourself - or for someone to buy you - a nice bunch of flowers once a week.  If you spend that on seeds, bedding plants or shrubs, you get so much extra value that can last for years. And look at what some people spend on stuff for indoors - cushions, clocks, candles, vases - and yet the things you buy for the garden give you so much more. Plants and seeds work for you, and give you back such a return on your investment, it's money well spent! (Well, we all know that. I'm just suggesting some ways of justifying it to others.)

• daisy doodaisy doo Posts: 90

Better than buying lots of cream cakes haha. I've already maxed the average spent and its only April image, you sure that was for a whole year??

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

£47 per garden centre visit surely?! 

I don't smoke, or buy designer outfits, or go to fancy pants restaurants (well, not if work isn't paying!) so if plants are my guilty pleasure then so be it!! 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,759

Magpie - I make that comment to OH every time he buys me a proper bouquet of flowers - "that would have bought a lovely shrub or two or loads of perennials" but he still does it tho less often.   And he does now come with me to my favorite plant fair and pays for the big stuff.

Reverse sums work too.  I received a free cutting which grew into a large twisted willow.  I have recently given away 11 new twisted willow trees propagated for free this spring.   I saw them on sale at B&Q in Canterbury on special offer for £12!  Last week I saw them on sale here for €7.   Either way, that's a lot of plant money I've saved my friends.   Maybe I should set up a stall and fill my own plant fund coffers.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw