Forum home The potting shed

Average gardeners spending

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,762
    Compost is my biggest outlay, don't spend on plants though, maybe just the odd bargain from Morrisons.

Someone can spend ??94.00 now and still keep the average up;)
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

I spent that at lunchtime on an on-line order---all herbaceous for an area that's getting revamped.image

SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,759

Not going there.  I've just spent €65 on 12 perennials in 4" pots, 12 trays of veggie and salad plugs, a yellow courgette in a 4" cube, 4 pots of dwarf pinks for the pots by the front door and a bag of pigs' ears for the dogs.   Spent way more than that on seeds for the season and then there are the bags of compost, pelleted manure, the seed trays and modules and new gloves.

Haven't been to a single plant fair yet or Chelsea which will involve lily bulbs and peony supports and gloves.   I'm a lot more careful about what I buy now that I know just how hard winters can be here but still spend more than that average sum without even trying.

I rather suspect no-one on here is average anyway or has an average garden or an average gardening habit.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • £47 imageimageimage I wish ! imagedid the survey say where the shop was that the guys got their stuff from cos I'd like to be first in the Que .

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,934

Yup - must be a lot of households out there who only spend between £1 and £10 a year on plants....

I spent more than 'the average' on a single tree last year because it was the exact species / variety / size I wanted image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,595
    Singing Gardener wrote (see)

I suppose a lot of people live in flats and don't have gardens but it does seem very low!

That was my immediate thought when I read the number.  They've divided the spend on plants by the number of households in the country.  I've spent about £150 on plants so far this year and I haven't really got started yet.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,678

Could be worse. I could be spending it on wild women.

Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,934

Here is the latest mind game I play with my OH  image

I buy a pant for (say) £6 and as soon as possible I divide it into (say) 3 and then tell my OH I've made £18 worth of plants so that's a saving of £12...

With this method - the more you spend, the more you save - simples image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down