Forum home The potting shed

Average gardeners spending

Found this line in a recent Guardian article http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/23/shopping-plants-seeds-best

"The average British household spends £47 a year on garden plants, according to research from the ". I guess there aren't many average people here then image.

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

I'm clearly subsidising at least ten other households!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,540

Don't let my OH see this.

I tell her that I am very restrained compared with other gardeners, but I spend at least that on seeds alone.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

It would be nice to see the average spend of a household that actually does any gardening. Or at least the median spending of all households.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,070

I suppose a lot of people live in flats and don't have gardens but it does seem very low!

BTW I think your link is missing the end, steephill? This should work.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/23/shopping-plants-seeds-best-deals 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,704

I've never been normal in my life and I'm not starting now.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

£47??   My OH would give a hollow laugh, no way - that cannot include gardeners surely.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,450

It does say "plants", not seeds and sundries. I think it depends on how new or established your garden is. This year I doubt that I shall reach £47 but last year it was just about right. The year before was way over that figure.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • £47 a year???? to quote Victoria Wood "Hollow flipping laughter"

But then I'm not sure my siblings even know where their gardens are so maybe between the 3 of us it'd average out nicely image 

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,867

Don't add it up. It will only upset you to know how much you are all spending on your plots.

• Lets just say I've been known to get that back in loyalty points from the garden centre........