Forum home The potting shed

Average gardeners spending

Found this line in a recent Guardian article http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/23/shopping-plants-seeds-best

"The average British household spends £47 a year on garden plants, according to research from the ". I guess there aren't many average people here then image.

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

I'm clearly subsidising at least ten other households!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027

Don't let my OH see this.

I tell her that I am very restrained compared with other gardeners, but I spend at least that on seeds alone.

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

It would be nice to see the average spend of a household that actually does any gardening. Or at least the median spending of all households.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214

I suppose a lot of people live in flats and don't have gardens but it does seem very low!

BTW I think your link is missing the end, steephill? This should work.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/23/shopping-plants-seeds-best-deals 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

I've never been normal in my life and I'm not starting now.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

£47??   My OH would give a hollow laugh, no way - that cannot include gardeners surely.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,228

It does say "plants", not seeds and sundries. I think it depends on how new or established your garden is. This year I doubt that I shall reach £47 but last year it was just about right. The year before was way over that figure.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • £47 a year???? to quote Victoria Wood "Hollow flipping laughter"

But then I'm not sure my siblings even know where their gardens are so maybe between the 3 of us it'd average out nicely image 

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149

Don't add it up. It will only upset you to know how much you are all spending on your plots.

• Lets just say I've been known to get that back in loyalty points from the garden centre........