Patio cleaning help

I am having a major problem with my patio, it's been neglected for a year as I was too busy focusing on the inside of the house to clean it or do anything with it.

It used to be a lovely yellow colour but has now turned black, I have tried most of the patio cleaning products on the market but I still have lots of black splodges all over it - looks like it might be a fungus/mould from looking at google images.

I've tried bleach aswell and nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions as to what else I could try please??

Thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,205

Pressure washer.   Buy or hire a Karcher.   We used one on our terrace made from black granite pavers which had come out of the cowshed and they turned out to be lovely shades of brown with flecks.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Sophie17Sophie17 Posts: 342
    I do mine with a pressure washer every spring and it comes up like new. I don't like the attachment that's specially for patios though, just the regular blaster does the job
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I agree a pressure washer is the answer; it will look as good as new and surprise you. They are not always expensive.  We do our terrace every three years or so and it stays looking good. 

• I'm not necessarily recommending that you try this however when laying my patio last year I brushed some cement into the cracks and managed to get it all over the slabs, the resultant effect was that they looked as good as new!

• indi2015indi2015 Posts: 8

Thankyou all - off to research a pressure washer then! any that I need to avoid?

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Ours is a Karcher and it works well.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

If you really want the easy option (and who doesn't) you need the pressure washer plus the Karcher patio cleaner. It takes a fraction of the time and and it doesn't splash as much as a pressure washer by itself.

great thanks - I have been looking at a few - I've seen the compact 110 bar, will this be powerful enough for the patio or am I going to have to shell out for the 145 bar?

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

we bought this one as we have a large paved indian stone garden which goes green/black every year and this worked really well, we didn't use the the patio heads though just the jet & we paid £15 more on amazon than this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nilfisk-X-Tra-Pressure-Washer-Cleaner/dp/B00AGD5JGG/ref=sr_1_27?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1461593561&sr=1-27&keywords=pressure+washer

brilliant, thankyou!