Forum home Plants

Weed/plant identifcation

LucidLucid Posts: 385

Hi everyone,

I don't suppose anyone knows what this is that has self seeded itself in our mini rockery?

It looks quite nice but I don't want to keep it if it's an invasive weed etc.

Thanks for any help,

Lucid image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,560

creeping buttercup. You don't want that on a rockery

• LucidLucid Posts: 385

Thanks nutcutlet. I did come across those on a website of weeds but wasn't quite sure the leaves matched up with what I've got. I'll definitely get rid of it then and will ensure I replace it with a nice fern when I get them delivered.

Lucid image

good ideaimage

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

If you look closely, I don't think it's a buttercup nut.  The leaves look like some kind of poppy and are very similar to californian poppy, but I don't think it's that as it's an annual and wouldn't be that big at this time.

It does look very weedy though so I'd have it out too! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

we need a third opinion. 

Still looks like buttercup to meimage

I have a good collection of these, I'll go and look at one

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

You could be (and probably are) right nut.  All of my 'collection' of buttercups have wider and less segmented leaves but given how prolific they are, it could just be a variant that doesn't grow around here. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,217

Doesn't look like a creeping buttercup to me image It doesnt look like the one which creeping under the fence from next door anyway.

Californian poppy comes out of the ground with one thin stem, it never has great thick leafstalks like that.

• GlynwynGlynwyn Posts: 7

It looks as if it has a flower bud. Why not wait until it opens to get a better idea of what it is? 

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

This is creeping buttercup, Ranunculus repens

http://www.kingcounty.gov/%7E/media/environment/animalsAndPlants/noxious_weeds/imagesC/creeping-buttercup-plant-on-rocks-SH.ashx?la=en

...and this is how it creeps...

http://www.kingcounty.gov/%7E/media/environment/animalsAndPlants/noxious_weeds/imagesC/creeping_buttercup_stolons.ashx?la=en

Don't think it's the same as yours.