Forum home Problem solving

Bloody dandelions

2»

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I was thinking more full English or a sausage butty dove image

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

I use this and have found it very effective and it's enjoyable to use:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002TTRT4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• I love dandelions! Their happy sunny faces make me smile and their leaves are great food for guinea pigs. To reduce numbers I pick off the heads after flowering and before they seed or dig out the plant. They look gorgeous among my bluebells and in my wild patch.

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,287

I agree Caroline.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I so look forward to dandelion season they are great for herbal usage.

• derekpderekp Posts: 35

I agree they're nice in the right place but not so good in the wrong place.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,213

Don't use a weed burner to get rid of dandelions in the lawn - OH did that one year even though I told him not to!

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

ummimage

• Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Midlands of EnglandPosts: 328

Hi derekp - unlike other responders, I've pretty much got rid of dandelions which once covered the garden by digging them out.  Don't expect to get rid immediately unless you want to spend all your time digging - I did this over 2/3 years.  Crucial though to nip the flowers off the ones you don't get out to stop each one producing another 1,000 new plants!  I'm also lucky in having a fairly enclosed garden (so new seeds blowing in from elsewhere) which may have helped.  Next: celandine, elder and herb robert!