The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Lawn to Wild Flowers

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 834

I want to change a part of my lawn to a PERMANENT area for wild flowers

Not this current fad for chucking some seeds about for the birds to eat

? Which flowers do I use and how do I give them the best chance of becoming PERMANENT

Advice please friends

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,533

Which type of wildflower meadow are you hoping to develop? There are two main styles

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=436

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 834

I will read this and come back pansy

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

yes, I would like to do that too..... checking online.....image

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,293

Plugs of wildflowers seem to be used more successfully than just scattering the seed.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,624

Apart from Yellow Rattle, scattering seed in grass is very unreliable

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 211

Read up on which are most suitable for your soil type, cut the grass short and get some plugs. Loads of useful websites out htere.

• Plugs are probably your best bet, Naturescape have a good selection and are reasonably priced. I have a wild flower area planted from plugs and every year I just cut everything back around March time and it grows back again every year and soon turns into a wild jungle! Mine is purely plants rather than grass as well though and it grows about 2ft+ tall so probably not the look you're going for :D