Forum home Wildlife gardening

Lawn to Wild Flowers

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,361

I want to change a part of my lawn to a PERMANENT area for wild flowers

Not this current fad for chucking some seeds about for the birds to eat

? Which flowers do I use and how do I give them the best chance of becoming PERMANENT

Advice please friends

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,590

Which type of wildflower meadow are you hoping to develop? There are two main styles

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=436

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,361

I will read this and come back pansy

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

yes, I would like to do that too..... checking online.....image

• Plugs of wildflowers seem to be used more successfully than just scattering the seed.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Apart from Yellow Rattle, scattering seed in grass is very unreliable

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 382

Read up on which are most suitable for your soil type, cut the grass short and get some plugs. Loads of useful websites out htere.

• Plugs are probably your best bet, Naturescape have a good selection and are reasonably priced. I have a wild flower area planted from plugs and every year I just cut everything back around March time and it grows back again every year and soon turns into a wild jungle! Mine is purely plants rather than grass as well though and it grows about 2ft+ tall so probably not the look you're going for :D

The wild flowers grew well and now I think I need to cut them down and let them go back to the soil.......Naturally

? Am i doing right friends
  • Wait until the flowers have seeded before cutting down.  We have scythed some of ours today, then leaving the cuttings for a week or so, turning and then collecting them up. You can mow or strim but be careful not to injure any wildlife like hedgehogs @NewBoy2 . It is advised not to leave the cuttings in place to rot down, you will be enriching the soil and wild flowers prefer poor soil to grow in. We are planning to get a farmer to graze his animals on the area, before the spring, but is not a necessity.
    Thanks GD2

The area is only 8 foot by 3foot.

The plants have seeds ........should I wait until they have burst or pop them and spread them about and then remove the stems and leaves ?.

New Bed in Front Garden

I have a new area 8 x 2 foot which I want to add English Wild Flowers

Suttons do some but I am looking for the "Real Thing " so any suppliers you can suggest

I will be changing the rest of the garden later in 2020