The 'Bee Cause'

Friends of the Earth have launched a campaign for the country's bees by sending out flower seeds. I don't think you have to join because I've received mine and didn't join. 

The flower species listed include -

Yarrow, cornflower, common knapweed, wild carrot, vipers bugloss, hedge bedstraw, lady's bedstraw, kidney vetch, birdsfoot trefoil, common poppy, plantain, cowslip, yellow rattle, meadow buttercup, sorrel, white campion, red campion, common bent, chewings fescue, highland bent, crested dogstail.

The sachet is jam packed image

https://www.foe.co.uk/page/bee-cause

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234
    Thanks fishy.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,150

Thank you Fishy for that. It's very good to know about. For me, it would be coals to Newcastle, but I'm sure it will help a lot of people get started.

Where are you going to put yours?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,150
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230

image Lyn and pansyface. 

Pansyface - there's no coal, just seeds image 

Seriously though, I appreciate nearly everyone on the forum has a bee haven already. I think I'll sow mine in a couple of large trays in the GH otherwise it will become a save the slugs campaign instead. There's 11 species on that list I already have but for me you can't have too many flowers image

• Thanks for the link Fishy, you're right you can never have too many flowers! Even though 75% of the seeds I've sown for the beds are pollinator friendly I'm still hankering after a bit of a 'wild/natural' area at the bottom of the garden with lots of hidey holes for the smaller visitors.

• Thanks Fishy.......there's a few on that list that I don't haveimage

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230

That's a good point Brenda and I've been searching for the link I used to email them and have found it here...

https://www.foe.co.uk/page/email-us

I mailed them enquiring about the seeds and haven't paid a penny. The seeds came this morning.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.