Forum home Garden design

Unreliable tradespeople

2»

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,097

They come and do the work but you have to badger them to give a bill.

Our electrician has done about 4 jobs over the last 18 months and hasn't billed us for any of them, despite our asking repeatedly. 

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,267

He must be (apologies to Harry Enfield) 'conseedarably reecher than yoww' Hosta  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 8,941

You've struck lucky there HFanimage

Our recent plumber ( not a terribly good one ) was paid a few thousand and then persisted in sending new bills..........for a gas installation ( we don't even have gas ) and for someone in a village miles away.

As has been said, they tap away on their Tablets or Mobiles when looking over the job but seem incapable of letting you know when they aren't going to appear.  I was told their workforce didn't like getting up early in the morning image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,381

Down here in the West Country, they will do it drekly, now that could be tomorrow or next month. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

Having worked in the building trade as a bricklayer for 14 years before I met Mrs F...myself, Dad and brothers ran a family business and prided ourselves on doing a good job at a reasonable price. Put in a price that's too high and you don't get the work. Too low and you end up working to make a loss.

Construction does have a habit of attracting chancers sadly, which tars the good builders with the same brush.

Then there's the other extreme where customers refuse to pay for perfectly good work by with-holding money due...known as retention. This happened to us on a good few occasions where a client would simply refuse to pay the agreed price and say 'take me to court then' knowing full well that solicitor's fees etc would see us spend more than the money originally owed.

Our business went bust because of such actions, the final straw was being taken for £10,000 back in 1988 by a crooked dentist who was having a restaurant built by us. We finished the job, he refused to pay. A few years later he got sent down for charging non-existent home visits to the NHS. And he was supposedly a member of a 'respected' profession. That last case saw my Dad lose his house into the bargain. In reality crooks are not confined to the building trade...

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Woe I'd never do that Fishy. Mostly because one builder told me someone had done that to him and he'd filled their drains with concrete image