Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

I've only been in this house (and garden) since September now now, as expected, there are things coming out all over in the garden I haven't seen before.

In particular, there are a whole host of these little chaps just about everywhere which have just come up and into flower. They are clump forming and about 20cm high.

The flowers look like Jacob's Ladder, but the leaves seem to be different from what I can see online?

Any advice welcome (I am pretty dim when it comes to plants!) The garden was very weedy when I moved in, so I might be harbouring something unwelcome for all I know!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,361

Yes Forget me nots image  We get them all over the garden at this time of year. When the flowers finish I just pull them up - they'll have scattered some seeds and there'll be more next year.  They provide lovely colour in the spring.

When I pull them up I put them in the compost heap which means that wherever I spread the compost mulch in the autumn will have forget-me-nots the following year - I don't worry about that - they're easily hoed out of the veg patch, and they're a lovely filler in the rest of the garden. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Pretty but spread everywhere.  I used to spend hours trying to keep them where I wanted them in every garden I've had and nowadays just try to remove them completely.  I've never succeeded though.

• Thanks everyone! They are pretty widespread - but I think I like that, I like the unorganised feel of it image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    That's why they are called forget me nots,you can't get get rid of themimage