Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Time-saving tips for growing tomatoes

bryan5bryan5 Posts: 1
Tomato Super Sweet seeds free in G.W. Mag I sowed on the27th March 1 shown through . Contacted T&M they said give an other couple of weeks they are in the same propergater as peppers King of the North they are all through. T&M dont seem very interested.

Has any other person had problems? Would like to hear.

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

Hi Bryan5

They should have come through now as if they are in a hot place they would have been up in a week.

Try breaking the soil to see if any have germinated so you will know they are on the way or not

Happy gardening

• Same result as you Bryan, 1 germinated out of the packet. I also bought the special offer from Gardeners World on seeds from Thompson and Morgan and the germination rate is less than 10%. I also bought plants and one set was in the post for over a week and look a bit poorly, but might survive, and contacted T&M and they are not in the slightest bit interested. Both my dad and I have had problems wit T&M previously and had stopped using their services but with a Gardeners World endorsement I gave them a try and nothing has changed, We have found a local nursery which sells direct to the public at very competitive prices and plants top quality and all survive and thrive, so think that is our answer.
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 884

Lots of people have had problems with these seeds. There's another thread about it here:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/free-super-100-tomato-seeds/956275.html 

• We have grown baby plum tomatoes in hanging baskets for several years successfully.

This keeps then free from slugs & snails, and "even our puppy dogs tail" ! .

Just water occasionally, and you'll have beautifully sweet tomatoes all summer long.
  • Only one of my free seeds germinated too.

Disappointed.
  • Only one of my free seeds germinated

• Lil56Lil56 Posts: 1

Similar problem.  Only sowed 6 to start with and had 1 appear so tried another 6 and again only 1 germinated. Also disappointed.

• Same problem !! really disappointing why they give away seeds then blame us gardeners for their failure to germinate image T+M really should get their act together 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

Only one of mine germinated - two other lots of tomatoes sown at the same time in the same compost  and kept in the same propagator had virtual 100% germination.

The magazine have sent me another pack and I'm giving them another try ... watch this space ............. but don't hold your breath image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Why buy tomato seeds, I collect seeds from tomatoes I buy and plant them in small pots. Within a few days they have germinated and eventually plant them out in growbags. Always have a bumper crop. Have done this for years with all types of tomatoes, give it a try and see how you get on