Forum home Plants

Cornflower plants

Emma41Emma41 Posts: 33

I've grown a few cornflowers from seed which are currently in the cold frame in individual pots. In the recent warm weather they've really come on and are now touching the lid of the cold frame and I'm keen to get them out. 

Can I plant them out in the borders now, or should I wait till after the frost risk has passed? Thanks 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,611

I would wait until you're sure there won't be any more morning frost. Have you chopped the back so they are nice and bushy.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Emma41Emma41 Posts: 33

I haven't no. So pinch them out like you would sweet peas to help them bush out? That would also help them stay in the cold frame a few more weeksimage

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

...and maybe start hardening them off ready to go out, a couple of weeks before the last frost.  Whenever that is.

Emma, if they are about 30cm tall you could chop them down by half. Keep the lid open all day, just close down at night, I think they have forecast a cold weekend coming up!

Yes they're about 30cm I would say. I'll do that then, two birds with one stone and I can begin to harden them off too. I'm in the South West so a few more weeks before the risk of frost has gone probably. Be a shame to lose them to one odd frosty night after a winter of nurturing.

Me too Emma, get lots of late frosts here.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be exercising restraint till after the frost risk has passed! I've also sown some seed directly in my new raised bed and they're popping up so they're not getting any protection but seem ok so far. Should be a good mix of colours to brighten up the borders come summer.