Forum home Plants

Advice on fuschia cuttings please

Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I think I may have my first ever successful cuttings of anything. image 

These were taken from a half hardy bush fuschia last year. I did them in water and potted them up when they had roots, since then they have been in my plastic greenhouse over winter.

When I found them this morning tucked away in a corner I noticed a little green shoot with leaves in one pot. I've gone through the tray (some were just sticks) and repotted the ones still with roots in clean pots with fresh mpc.

My question is what to do now?

Is there anything I've missed, or should I leave them alone to get on with it?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Just let them grow for now Kitty. When the new shoots reach about  4 inches pinch out the tips to encourage branching stems. Well done by the way, always nice to succeed with cuttings.

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Warmth, but not blazing sun.

The hard bit is done!
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,126

You're right about the blazing sun. I always find that fuchsias do best in partial shade.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Thank you Dave. I was surprised to see growth, I was beginning to think that cuttings just weren't in my skill set after many, many failures.

Darren and Ceres, thanks for the tip about shade, will bear this in mind when planting out also.

Maybe this will mean the end of buying plugs every year image

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    I find a lot of south american plants prefer partial shade.

My Mina lobata definitely do, as did my homegrown bomarea hirtella, I guess many of them are understory plants in the wild.