Forum home The potting shed

The cutting garden 2016

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,855

For the first time this year I have grown tulips for cutting.  They are bulbs that I had in pots last year, that I decided to try and re-use in rows in a corner of the veg garden.  Really pleased by the number of flowers I am getting - this is the first bunch

Mr C is a bit put out - veg garden is his domain ...."which part of vegetable garden don't you understand ??!"

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,169

I get ..."paths are for walking on, not laying trays of plants on."

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,536

Fidget, Brenda and chicky love all your displays and i too plan to have cutting garden patch this summer image 

chicky please tell hubby we will let him off for his little moan about veg patch as he has been poorly but only this once image love to you both x

This weeks vases. Spanish bluebells, which grow almost like hyacinths, and the end of the daffs. The only ones I have left to open are lemon strike.

Forgetmenots are fully out now,so I put a few in the vase.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,855

Lovely, lovelyimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Those are all lovely. It's my first year of growing anything, but I've got my very own sweet pea and sunflower plants, chrystanthemum, aster, gazania and cleome seedlings, and I'll be sowing common marigolds this week. The verbena bonariensis seeds have not germinated yet, even after two weeks in the fridge, but I'm nothing if not optimistic. And I hope to be able to snip a few flowers off the new roses I planted. Oh, and dahlias, lots of dahlias. It'll be a colourful allotment!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,385

I've made a cutting garden in the vegetable garden. OH put up a trellis for my sweet peas. I've sown clarkia, ammi, calendula, larkspurs and cosmos directly into the soil and they are just showing. I have more plants still in the GH which will join them, more cosmos, antirrhinums, zinnias, lavatera Silver Cup. I bought bare roots of gypsophila in February which I potted up and are now 3 good plants.

Dordogne and Norfolk

I have cosmos, zinnia and cleome seedlings in the greenhouse. Ammi majus  in plug trays and a lot of rooted Verbena bonariensis cuttings to go out yet.

Dahlia tubers from last year are now shooting and need potting on.

I did sow some cherrry red knautia but not one has come up.(Sarah Raven seed)

My sweet peas in roottrainers are outside now, I need to get them in the ground.

• Missy KrissyMissy Krissy Posts: 249

This is a a loverly thread!  We've been growing veggis for years but this is our first year growing cut flowers in designated beds! So excited and itching to plant out... we planted out our sweet peas yesterday.  Left to go in the ground is dahlia (Hawaii), verbena, stocks, digitalis (foxglove), lavender, rudbeckia, sunflowers, malva, Chrysanthemum.  Oh and I've sown direct nigella, gypsophila, corn flowers and have cosmos coming up from last year!  I'm sure there's more but I can't remember!  Now, not entirely sure I'll fit that all into two modest sized beds.... May have to give some plants away!!! image

Well I finished planting the sweet peas, tied to canes and watered in. I found a tray of clary salvia plugs has been decimated by wood pigeons, so I put them back in the polytunnel to bulk up again.

The alliums are starting to open so I cut a few for a vase along with some euphorbia and bluebells.