Forum home Talkback

flower identification

last year i bought a plant in poundland ,put it in a planter and waited. it was supposed to be completely different to what appeared. it grew to about 4ft, with long thin branches, the flowers were very similar in size and colour to scabious,and as they faded they produced fluffy seeds ( which were a bit like dandelions). can anyone identify it please?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I'm sure you'll get a lot of guesses image

But we really need a photo to ID a plant

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I'm very clueless but the seedheads could possibly be clematis ( am I right in thinking the native one is known as old mans beard?)

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705

Knautia macedonica?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

I have melton pastels, soft pinks, grow to 4 ft tall.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • K. macedonica doesn't need heat to germinate ...... sown in a coldframe in spring is okay or as mine were - sown and left in a sheltered spot.

Seed off of mine last year, has germinated in a week. No extra heat required other than being in the greenhouse.

• T & M don't advocate heat - they advocate plastic bag so that moisture isn't lost .. image

• They are not advocating heat - they are giving a germination estimate at that temperature range. 

Seedaholic:

Sowing: Sow in late winter to spring or sow in autumn. 
    Sow at maximum temperatures of 5°C (41°F) Seeds can be sown indoors or sown outdoors directly where they are to flower. The seeds need a touch of cold to germinate, if temperatures outdoors are too high, you can be artificially simulate this by placing the seeds in a damp paper towel in a ziplock bag and placing in the fridge for around three or four weeks. Fridges are usually set at 4°C (39°F) – a very useful temperature!

from seed sown last autumn .........