Forum home The potting shed

House names that suit the garden (or don't)

I was just thinking about how many houses have names which reflect a defining feature in their garden - and how odd it is when that feature isn't there any more!

I live in Pear Tree Cottage. We have a small young pear tree, which I guess was planted by the previous owners who felt that the lack of a pear tree was something of an embarrassment. We do have a very large pair of yew trees which frame our gate and grow together as one, and I do wonder if maybe in the past the name was more about 'pair of trees' and got changed somewhere down the way? (It's an old house, dates to 1734). 

Locally, we have lots of the usual suspects - Wisteria Cottage, with a wisteria; Japonica Cottage, Honeysuckle Cottage. Oddly though, every house I've seen recently called Ivy Cottage does't have any ivy at all, and I wonder if that's just because more recent owners have taken it down. I certainly take it off our house, as it's rendered and painted, so ivy is a massive hindrance to maintaining the exterior.

Does your house have a garden related name, and is it relevant to your garden now?

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,301

29:  relates to the variety of weeds in the front garden, I thinkimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,278

We call our house Concorde -

• it was built when Concord made it's maiden flight
    • it's our favourite variety of pear and we're growing one in the garden
    • we live in a spirit of peace, harmony and co-operation

We have the 'e' on it because the pear does, and because it was spelt that way in Middle English, and because we like it image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Only 29, B3? I envy you image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,555

Only 29 weeds B3? you must be a very efficient weeder. Mine would be 129image

• I like that, Dove - lots of relevant and personal reasons behind the name image
  • flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

My mum and dads house used to be called Tudor Rose, I always thought it was a nice name image

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,301

Why spoil a good post with the truthimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Our house is called Black Dog House, we have no dogs, we have cats. It's called that because of the legend of the ghostly black dog that is supposed to roam the Downs in the dark of the year.

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

The Tudor Rose 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

There's a house near here called Tall Trees. Wishful thinking. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.