Forum home The potting shed

Houses with lots of land

12345679»

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,814
    Almost any older house could have chancel liability - I think what Richard168's talking about is not an expectation that it would be waived - you can buy insurance in case a claim is ever made. The insurance isn't particularly expensive.
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • Richard168Richard168 Posts: 115
    yes it was insurance against a claim being made. I still fancied the idea of threatening to turn up to every service and heckle the priest or vicar if they ever tried to make a claim lol.
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 761
    edited April 2018
    I'm in the South East, and bought when you were looking.  We knew the chances of buying something in Brighton and even the surrounding villages were slim and completely out of reach.

I was looking to buy a bungalow, with a lot of land on the edge of the downs.  Build a very nice summer house / office.  Then look at retro-fitting the bungalow.  Or remove and rebuild, depending on resources and energies.  The land was more of a priority for me. 

Since then even bungalows have become ludicrously expensive.  Most of these types of old housing stock aren't even built that brilliantly.  And they are tricky to retrofit.  New builds are also pretty awful, with a very low lifespan estimate.   Most of the UK could do with being knocked down and rebuilt in my opinion.

In the end we compromised.  Quite a crappy house, in a nice but noisy locale.

After watching grand designs and seeing even the most enthusiastic and energetic spirits getting knocked down by their undertakings, it looks less and less achievable for me.  But I'm still thinking about building a modest single story building somewhere nice. 

Doing it all by yourselves is a nice idea, but community allotments are also an opportunity while they are still available.  I rarely see the plots being used to anything approaching half capacity.  We had 1/2 an acre as a volunteer group to manage, and there was plenty to be done, and never enough hands.

The orchard, alpaca route sounds very, very sensible.  I like the less hands on approach that you get with something like forest gardening.  More fruits for less labour.
  • Richard168Richard168 Posts: 115
    Wayside it is a matter of being realistic about how much you can do. Orchard has its busy times but I love getting 20 friends round for collinging the apples (over 50 trees in the orchard is a lot of collecting) and then crushing and juicing them. We have only been here 2 years but it has become an annual social event and we have set the date already lol.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,253
    I forgot to add that you also need to be physically fit. My back is now so bad (not garden related) that I can only manage 30 minutes standing before the pain is too bad to keep going. Bending is even worse.
    It would be nice to be able to afford a gardener, but we certainly cannot.
  • david234david234 Posts: 5
    We were looking for a decent size plot with planning permission a few years back but the cost of plots were very high so we started looking at houses with a couple of acres which seemed much better value.
    Upshot is after living in a busy part of Manchester in a semi detached house with tiny garden for 48 years we moved to Cornwall a mile from the coast in a lovely quiet hamlet and have a house with 6 acres of land. We are quite cut off here 5 miles to nearest shop and 10 miles to small town, but 2 years in we dont regret a thing the quieness and isolation seemed strange at first but I couldnt envisage moving to even a small town now.
    The trick for us was to move to somewhere property prices were much cheaper than Manchester and this is how we managed to afford something that we could never have on the outskirts of Manchester.
    If you are prepared to move then you might be amazed at what you can afford. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,602
    @david234, we did the same when we moved to N. Devon from Hants/Surrey 6 years ago. No regrets and 7.6 acres now.
    Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,814
    I suspect one problem with the whole 'living the dream' thing is many people leave it much too late in life. If you only start with your 5 acres in the middle of nowhere when you are approaching your 70s, you probably will find it too much quite quickly. Life gets in the way, children and careers and we have to live near school/office but when the kids have grown up/when we retire then we can go where we want. If you really want to do it, do it now. Find a way. Or put it to one side and just go on holiday to those places instead. 

Building your own house is something you do when you're willing to put up with discomfort and dirt. Not after you've got comfortable in a house with heating and indoor plumbing - it's a huge step down from there to a caravan in a rainy field for two years.

Grand Designs has done more to impede the self build market than any ad campaign by the volume house builders ever could. It's not difficult, it doesn't have to be expensive. It's just uncomfortable for a while if you don't have the money to rent or buy another house while you build. 
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett