Forum home The potting shed

Houses with lots of land

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,818
    edited March 2018
    UpNorth said:
    fascinating question....how to find a house with Land.   

Of course the rules have changed since the OP. There's "Class Q" permitted development now. All I would say on that is 'Buyer Beware'. It's very loosely defined and the interpretation of the rules varies widely council to council. Personally I wouldn't buy one at the moment - maybe in 5 years or so when it's settled down (unless it's revoked in the meantime of course). It is - and is intended to be - a way to increase the supply of rural homes.
    But as you've decided against Self-Build, Lucid, this isn't one for you
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,259
    If Lucid is interested in moving to the very west Midlands our 1 acre semi is up for sale.
  • LucidLucid Posts: 334
    Thanks again for all of the input and apologies for my delay in replying. I'll try to reply to each of your posts. 

@raisingirl- It sounds as though you've got quite the project underway. I think our answer would be exactly the same as yours as my partner would much prefer to build somewhere. However the cost of land around here is so much and usually without planning permission. Did you go for land with permission, or take the risk on grazing land etc? As second best, and probably more sensible moneywise, we're looking (on Rightmove) at various areas, including our favourite village, and seeing the types of places that are more likely for us. With our current project of getting the house ready for sale, we've got plenty of time to work out which areas we prefer. Thanks for the tips on the garden plants, I'd need to think carefully about that - which ones we could sensibly take etc. I'm definitely not going to go too mad with adding new plants, but do want it to look simple and nice for people coming to look. And yes, the pond and pond life is very important to me, so I do hope we'd get lucky with newts etc at the next place - as well as have space for a good pond. :) Also thanks for your tip on the Class Q development - I'll have to have a look in to that, although suspect we will probably stick with buying a house rather than building now. Still worth checking all of the options.

@Lily Pilly - It sounds as though you also have huge projects going on. We've seen some houses with 250 - 300 foot gardens etc, so nothing on your scale, but definitely large enough for us. My partner is a bit wary on having that much space but I can see how you could divide it all up and have lots of different purposes - veg plot, mini orchard, wildlife friendly areas, proper seating arrangements etc. If we do end up in our ideal village I'll keep your tip on freezers in mind. Yes we will be prepared to have to drive much more, but I do like the idea of walking in the country lanes and in to the local woods etc, rather than our current situation of having to drive to those spaces. 

@UpNorth - Yes we use Rightmove all the time and I agree that the search filters are not very good. I wouldn't rely on them to filter everything I'm after either, so just scroll through and check everything - a bit tedious but it's giving us a good idea of what's around in all local areas. We've come across some absolute surprise places where they have a massive garden in a situation you wouldn't have expected, so we do know there are potentially places out there for when we are seriously looking.

@hogweed - Thanks for the tip on allotments. I think we're hoping to make the move over the next year, all being well. However we've slightly downscaled our plans. Looking for more of a larger garden situation where can hopefully have a veg patch, rather than acres. I do agree that it's worth considering though, as I've fallen behind with our current 75 foot garden. Am very hopeful that the Spring like weather we were getting a few days ago will return next week and I can get out there to start tidying. The benefit of a lot of the places we've seen on Rightmove is that the gardens are usually pretty well established, so we could move in and then gradually formulate a place to adapt to what we want.

@Liriodendron - Thanks for the tips on planting, I'll be trying my best to make it look colourful and basic as well. I do hope the potential new owners would keep the pond, but it's obviously entirely up to them. I wouldn't care about anything else being dug up and removed, but our pond is popular for the local newts. Still the owners previous to us had filled in a pond and the newts survived a few years before we built our pond, so it wouldn't be the end of them I hope even if the pond did get filled in.

@Lyn - Wow you are in our absolute ideal type of place, but it's never going to happen around our area because of the prices. It must be such a nice place to live though.

@autumnglory - Yes our current house was a doer upper and we have to finish before we can put it up for sale. We're just going for basic decoration in the bedrooms though, just to make them look fresh and nice. We've seen some lovely decorated places in Rightmove where we could move in to and not feel we have to do any work right away, so I think that may be our preference for the next house unless a special house came up that met all of our hopes (and was cheaper)!

@Freddies Dad - That's good that you found all of your hard work had been kept and appreciated. As I said to Liriodendron earlier, the only thing I worry about is our pond being filled in, but I can only hope they will love it as much as we do.

@Berghill - Thanks Berghill but we are looking to stay in the South due to family and friends still being pretty local. Good luck with the sale of your place though. :)
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,876
    Lucid, it's very good of you to reply to everyone individually.  Quite an undertaking!

My OH laughs at me for "surfing" Rightmove.  But we're both retired, and last autumn he had a medical problem which meant he couldn't get out of the house - we have a lot of steps down to the main road - so I reckon we should be on the lookout for the right place...

For me, the dream would be western Ireland, because our daughter, SIL and 2 granddaughters live in Galway.  The advantage is that there's loads of open space, and houses with land are really cheap... I fancy planting a wood, sowing a meadow and having an orchard, before I'm too old to look after them.  It'll probably never happen, but what's life without dreams?   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    No problem @Liriodendron - was giving myself a break from checking out houses on Rightmove. :)

Ireland would be ideal for us to if it wasn't so far away from our family. My nan was Irish and at some point I'm going to get my Irish citizenship which I'm eligible to apply for because she was Irish. It's more of a thing to do in memory of my dad as he was very proud of his Irish heritage, but if we ever did want to move to Ireland I'm guessing it could help. We have in the past checked out properties over there and you can get absolute acres for far less than we'd have to spend in the South of England. But it comes at the price of being so far away from everyone, so wouldn't make us completely happy. And yes, you've got to have dreams and inspirations, otherwise what's the point. :) 
  • SuesynSuesyn Posts: 221
    I guess that's why they sell so many lottery tickets! 
    @Suesyn - it would certainly help but we've not been lucky so far, although we buy tickets extremely sporadically! ;)
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 749
    My family are in Hampshire so I know the pain of stupidly high house prices. I had allotments and the yard of my 2up 2 down in the midlands before emigrating, all of a sudden I have 2.2 acres and well to be honest it was a jungle when I got it and it still is! There is most definatly such a thing as too much space. about 5-10 years before I bought the house 1 acre was an amazing garden with streams ponds winding walks and lots of tiny lawns, and the other acre was a field. Now the "garden" is a bramble plantation and the field is well over my head in weeds. I've fought down 1000m2 for my veggies but that is about it.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,334
    Sounds like my dream as well, also in the SE, thought my garden was big till I joined the forum.  When you say build your own house, do you mean literally, your boke is in the building trade?  What about "Homes under th Hammer", Trust me, you arent just "young" you are babies!  Occoassionally you see woodland for sale where you would be able to biuld some kind of dwelling.  As you say though, here in the SE property and land (if you can ever find it) is so expesive.
  • musmanali2020musmanali2020 PakistanPosts: 29
    Actually we both are on the same page. I also like to have a big house with a piece of land on which i can grow different ornamental plants.