Forum home The potting shed

Houses with lots of land

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,338
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

And another

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/40100575?utm_source=trov&utm_medium=feeds&trv_cid=d0c3dde92a956c77ba98ce91392b6879b595c16f&utm_source=Trovit&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=premium#Ti2xmyLcOpqPihjh.97

such a pretty place full of potential - but same caveat - get a structural survey.

You'll also need a builder you trust to tell you  roughly how much you're going to have to spend to make it as you want it. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,585
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Good luck with your search - I agree that it's quite a challenge now in the UK property market to find anything with land which isn't going to cost a fortune, no matter the condition of the property, but keep looking and if you're persistent and flexible you will hopefully find something to create your dream on image

As an aside, I was at a village function last night and got chatting to the lady of the local ancestral 'big house'. 'Oh, you live at that cottage? Does it just have that little bit of lawn you can see at the front?' Talk about crestfallen - I thought my garden was quite large! I guess it's all relative, when it comes from someone who has hundreds of acres at their disposal... image

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 1,853

Hello, Lucid. I had the same dream as you when I was in my thirties and I damn well got most of it! And most is the key word. We don't have isolation, we are on the edge of a village but we look out on downland, front and back. We don't have two acres, more like three quarters of one but it uses up all my spare time, any more could become a burden rather than a pleasure. We have both had to work hard to pay for it and that limits your free time. It isn't a small manor house - my lifelong fantasy, it's the end of a short terrace of working men's cottages and it is small and modest. So how can I call it the same dream? I had to cut my coat to suit my cloth: it's better to compromise than to get nothing. I love my little house and my pretty garden and now I am older, I am glad there are people near should we need help. The broadband has just been upgraded too! Good luck - go for it!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,382

This one in Norfolk is a mess but it has 6.56 acres

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58720214.html 

Dordogne and Norfolk

BL - that's gorgeous and with a proper 'cat slide roof' at the back - and not far from a mainline train station with a half-hourly service to London!

Properly done the house and the barn would be worth at least a million each, possibly a lot more - if only I was still in the building business (but then I'd still be with the ex imageimage)   

We renovated a very similar property not far from there about 30 years ago. 

• Heavens .......... itchy feet image

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,114

If I ever win the lottery, then I will have a house near the coast With plenty land all around it, but not to far from a village image

• Brenda.............thanks for that. It was indeed Hanna Hauxwell  I was thinking of - a real inspirationimage