Houses with lots of land

Hi everyone,

I live in the South of England (near the coast) - one of the most expensive places for property. Me and my partner have a dream of being able to buy land one day to build our own house with plenty of land around for growing food etc - maybe even keeping some animals. But realistically it seems that this could be very expensive to buy the land in the first place and not something we could ever achieve while remaining in the South - or possibly anywhere else. Secondary to that we'd love to buy a house that is isolated from lots of other houses with enough land for growing food and a nice garden space. Again though this seems like an impossible dream as if you're lucky to find anywhere like that in this area it is a very high price and not very common.

I know there are some users on here who have quite large spaces of land attached to their houses and I guess I'm really wondering if there are any tips for finding those kind of properties? I know some will have been purchased before the housing boom caused prices to increase so much, but I'm keen to find out what methods people went to or considered for finding their house with lots of land? Did you completely relocate or take on a house that needed a complete overhaul etc? We wouldn't be planning on a massive house but we would like land.

Although it is both of our dreams my partner wants nothing more from a house than to be isolated from neighbours and surrounded with land and trees and nature etc. He does have a well paid job compared to average but I'm afraid I let things down as I'm a self employed musician so we would never afford a highly expensive place. 

I'd just be interested in hearing from anyone who doesn't mind sharing in case there's options we haven't thought of.

Lucid image

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Try Croatia and Slovenia
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,790

When I was younger we had a 9 acre smallholding in Suffolk - it was an old mill house with mill buildings and three meadows (formerly orchards).  The house needed a lot of renovation and the buildings were in an even worse condition, but my then OH was a builder so things got done on our place when his work was slack.   We found it because we already lived in the area and knew the owners who were selling up. 

Nowadays places like that in Suffolk fetch a lot of money because improved rail links mean that people are prepared to commute from Suffolk to work in London. 

To find cheaper places with land you need to look at areas where property is cheaper - I think prices in Wales are low compared to other places - then tell the local estate agents exactly what you're looking for - they'll send you the information.

Places like that are often sold by auction, so you need to have sorted out your finances and know exactly how much you can borrow and what conditions the mortgage provider will impose if you're buying a place that needs renovation.

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

darren636 wrote (see)
    Try Croatia and Slovenia

Brexit may well scupper that sort of adventure image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LucidLucid Posts: 315

Thanks darren636, I should have added we're trying not to move away too far from families etc. I know someone from Norway who sounds like they had a lovely place to grow up - on a farm with land and the forest around them.

It's funny because in the area we're in (town but not too far from the sea) we're considered to have a large garden, especially considering we're an end of terrace. On the forum settings though my garden size is considered small out of the 3 options! image We've not quite got the space for lots of food production though - unless we forfeited the other beds, but our priority for now was making a garden for wildlife.

I know it will probably be a case that we have to admit defeat unless we did make a drastic change to where we live, but I was just curious to see if anyone else achieved such a thing over the last few years when house prices have remained high.

Lucid image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,548

Ah, the good life!image

I suppose it depends on how young and healthy you are, Lucid. I am here to throw a small bucket of tepid water over many of your ideals. Mr Pansyface and I lived in cities for most of our marriage and railed at our neighbours' noises and strange habits. We could both drive, even though we didn't need to in the cities.

Then OH decided that he had had enough of the 9-7, 6 day week and we decided to move to a country area where we could enjoy retirement and our good health at the same time. After a long and depressing search for a place (3 years of looking, offering and being let down) we came to live here. Not a huge garden, maybe half an acre, and not a big house. One attached neighbour and that was all. Open views. No traffic. No music. Bliss.

No sooner had we moved in than I found I could no longer drive. Buses to the nearest shops are every 30 minutes and they only run 9-6 ish and not on Sundays. Not too bad as OH happy to drive. Then a couple of months later he was rushed into hospital. Visits to see him were not easy but possible. He came home. Almost immediately he fell ill with something else. Seriously ill. Again, I was stuck at home a lot and he was in the nearest hospital 25 miles away.

I have just been told that I now have to make regular visits as an out patient for treatments which will leave me unable to use public transport.

Before we came to live here we would have laughed at the idea of illness and decrepitude. We were fit, active and mobile. Since coming to live here we have had a hard shock or two.

I would say to you, consider how you would get to the shops, hospitals and so on if, out of the blue and for whatever reason, you had to rely on other people.

Enough misery. Dream!

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • It might have been possible years ago Lucid but as we get more and more crowded in this little island, the options for land and isolation become less and less.

At one time, it worked in a cycle.........Wales and East Anglia were relatively cheap as were parts of the North East and South West.  The "Good Life" people moved out of the cities to these areas but they usually had the money behind them to renovate broken down properties with a good bit of land.  Those times are gone I think.

I've lived in most areas of the UK.......usually renovating which I never minded so long as the land was suitable.

It's not always necessary to buy somewhere freehold.......leasing some land close to where you live is a possibility.Long term rentals with an option to buy also.  Have words with land agents in the areas you are prepared to live.  There are people in rural areas who would like nothing better than to move out BUT need a good price for their property in order to finance their new buys. Again, farmers are selling up but still want the going rate for their properties.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in your situation who want that kind of lifestyle but can't afford to indulge themselves. The farther out you move, the cost of living becomes more expensive.Nothing to say that you shouldn't keep abreast of the situation tho......rural Estate agents, Farming and Smallholding publications, etc.

There are "cheap" areas still within the UK but a terraced house with a back yard is obviously not your idea of blissimage

Bit negative I'm afraid but that is how I see it.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,546

I occasionally fantasise about having a property in the Pyrenees, and here's what I do.

Use Google Earth to find potential areas, then use Rightmove to find properties in those areas and if I like the look of them use Google Earth to have a virtual drive round.
    It's a good starting point.
    Kent may offer possibilities - and it is The Garden of England after all!

Best of luck

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LucidLucid Posts: 315

Thanks Dovefromabove - that smallholding sounds amazing. I just found an old farmhouse in Ireland with 8 acres that wasn't too much - in fact possibly the same as our current house is worth - but the house is very rundown. I was only looking our of curiosity as it is the same area my nan grew up in. 8 acres would be far too much for us to manage - although I could imagine you could do all sorts of good for wildlife with that kind of land. I guess we'd be looking at between 1 and 2 acres - obviously a bit more if we were seriously considering animals.

I guess it's the balance of do we want it enough to move away from our families. We've already lived away once and got fed up with not seeing them so much. I know we're seeing this for now as very much a retirement plan so perhaps we'll feel differently then about how close we are to everyone. If we could do it before I would love to though as it'd be great to be able to do all the hard work now and then enjoy it more in retirement.

Thanks for the tip on the auctions Dovefromabove, I hadn't thought of that. For some reason I thought property auctions were reserved for repossessed houses.

Lucid image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,940

2 acres here. They came with a leaking wooden shack, non-working drains and septic tank, jungle of nettles and blackthorn suckers, rats and mice in the roof, bees with honeycomb in the dormers and years of dumped rubbish.. House sorted, 2 acre garden is never sorted, things grow.

I hope we can continue till we go out in a box but it gets harder as time goes by.

***p broadband as mentioned in another thread

Go for itimageimage

If you want to build your own place, look for semi-isolated rural properties with totally derelict house/bungalow on them.  The sort of place where you'd never normally get planning permission, but if there is the remains of a house there then you should normally get planning permission to build on its 'footprint',