Difficult shady area - ideas?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,986

Shade is often regarded as difficult, but it is a great opportunity to grow some different plants.

My shady borders are some of my favourite areas in the garden.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • BusyBBusyB Posts: 87

I have to agree with Hostafan1. I love Hostas - I also have ferns planted amongst them on the shady side of my garden.

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

Podophyllum and dodecatheon are a bit more unusual but quite reliable.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,177

keenbutgreen - its probably all been said but campion does well in shady areas in my garden. My euphorbias positively love shade and yellow archangel likes it too image

• Thanks so much for all the ideas - got some great stuff to get planning now!
  • Okaaay. Having had a good think about this, and realised that this area is where the dog spends a lot of his time trampling through (he likes to go into the laurel hedge and look out through the railings on the other side onto the road!), I would be best off with larger shrubs here rather than anything that's going to get too bashed about or trodden on.

I know euphorbias are toxic, but I have them in other areas of the garden and the dog doesn't touch them (he's more interested in sniffing stuff on the ground than hassling the shrubs) so I'm not too concerned about adding some more. I'm thinking euphorbia at the far (left) end nearest the house, where he doesn't go as much, and a more shade tolerant rose on the right. I like roses image There will be room behind the rose and the laurel so he can walk to his viewing spot without getting full of thorns image

I've seen magic carpet suggested as one that can tolerate shade, are there any others people have done well with in shade? I've looked at the David Austin site for their suggestions - I like the Alnwick Rose. I'd like something relatively fast growing with either a long flowering period or repeat flowering. I don't want much, do I?!

• I looooooove roses, Verdun! Even my middle name is Rose... (admittedly, I can't claim responsibility for that...)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    keenbutgreen wrote (see)

I looooooove roses, Verdun! Even my middle name is Rose... (admittedly, I can't claim responsibility for that...)

That's something you share with Wonky Womble - and that's not her fault either, it's mine image

It's her step-daughter's middle name too ... what a lovely coincidence that is as well image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hehe, Dove, it's an excellent name image My grandmother's name was Rosina and she lived in Rose Cottage... I think more people should be called Rose. I'd have given my little one the same middle name, but he turned out to be a boy, darn it.