Forum home Plants

Plant ID's please

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I have these two plants in the school garden.  Is anyone able to shed any light on what they might be ?

1.  This is a bulb, that has really silvery leaves on the inside.  (it will turn the right way when you click on it)

2.  This came from a pack of seeds just thrown in a few years back.  Don't know what it might be.

Thank you.

PS does anyone else go straight to the plant ID posts just to test themselves and learn new things, or is it just me ? image

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,389

First one is iris. Got some mislabelled as tulips last year. But iris popped up!

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,086

2nd one could be veronica gentianoides. Mine are looking very similar atm. Should flower in a few weeks.

1st pic looks more like a leek to me.... image

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • and Yes - I do Peanuts3 image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,495

The top picture of the bulb looks like a camassia to me. I have these in my garden and they look very familiar. It should flower fairly soon. I am not sure about the second picture.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569

Is this definitely a bulb? None of the bulbous irises that I know look like that at the top. when it stops raining I'll go and look at the camassia

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I thought it was nut, but may be totally wrong. image

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126

The top one looks like some sort of onion and the second one like sweet william.