drains need hiding but easy access

I have two drains which are quite ugly and would love some suggestions on how to hide them but with something which is easy to remove and not too heavy. The drains are set in rough concrete . I know i could use pot plants  but would like some other ideas . Its north facing get late sun only.  I share these drains with my neighbour they are between our front doors a real eye sore and he  does not bother with the garden so it up to me to improve this space My new garden  is railway sleepers and slate stones with evergren plants to it  . Just this space that needs a remedy. Any sugesstions would be welcome.

• If you need to access the drains, I can't really think of an easy solution.  

North facing ?  Perhaps you could grow some shade loving plants around the perimeter of the drain cover which will "flop" over but will still allow access ?  Ferns maybe ?  Depends whether dry shade or damp but sure there would be something suitable.

Someone else will have some good ideas I imagineimage

• B3B3 Posts: 9,727

Get a shallow rectangular tray and plant sedums or alpines or fill the tray with gravel and put pots or containers on top

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3......yep......that would be the easiest answer but I think the OP was looking for other ideasimage

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

It will come at a cost but the drain & cover can be lowered and false top put on it that isn't such an eye soreimage

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

What about cotoneaster horizontalis?  Don't know if it would work and you'd have to chop it back possibly if you did need to get into the drains.

• mo6mo6 Posts: 28

Kef my Landscaper suggested how the drains could be done if it was just mine I would have done this but my neighbour won't help with anything which entails spending money so this is out of the question  .

. For my garden i think the tray with sedums on is a good idea, i like that . I will try and find  a nice low lightweight  box to put them in . I can do plant pots but this box idea is much better and a bit different. Thanks B3.

Many thanks all  image x

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 450

Hi Mo6,

I've managed to hide 2 large manhole covers and my septic tank cover.

I've created herbaceous borders which were deliberately shaped to be sure of including them. I then covered them with a couple of layers of heavy duty landscape fabric (I bought one that doesn't fray) and cut it to size with a generous margin around. I then bought danish trays from LBS Horticultural and filled these with compost and shallow rooted  / spreading perennials ( eg geranium biokovo) that will cope with a bit of a disturbance when needed. The trays then disappear once the plants are mulched. The septic tank has to be emptied every 18 months, but it's easy enough to lift the tray and clear off any soil ... then lift the landscape fabric to get access. Have had this in place for 10 years now and it seems to work for me.

image  Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey 
  • mo6mo6 Posts: 28

Thanks  Bee witched for that was wondering were to buy trays to enable this sort of planting will look into these products. image x