Forum home Plants

Unidentified tree

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

Any ideas what tree this is? I know most of my native trees but I don't 'think' this is? It looks like a tree Monty was planting the other week image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351

Amelanchier (aka Snowy mesipilus/ Service tree)  

We're going to get one for our garden. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

Thank you Dove...now I can give it a name other than 'the tree with the white blossom' image

Good for wildlife too Fishy, with berries for the birds.  You can try them too - they're edible, but I've never tasted one. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

Oh yes the bees love the blossom. I think I'll leave the berries for the birds though Dove image

• daisy doodaisy doo Posts: 90

The berries are really tasty a bit like a sweet blueberry. Mind getting to eat them is a problem as the birds usually devour them first.  We were lucky last summer as picked quite a few to eat.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,121

I've never yet seen a berry on mine in 30 years, but I knew it had them, as it was a present from a birdimage

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

yes, I want to get one of those tooimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

Are they happy on dry alkaline soil? I fancy one of those but I've seen the looking yellow and depressed in some gardens

A friend had one in an alkaline garden but I wouldn't call hers dry - near the Broads. There's a fabulous one in Reydon just inland from Southwold, fairly free-draining there.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

It's on the listimage

Plant Fair on Sundayimage