Forum home Plants

Camellia sasanqua Yuletide

Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518
Hi, has anyone got one of these? I'm looking for an upright evergreen and saw this. Could be perfect for my west facing fence but am seeking an endorsement or two (or suggestions of a similar upright camellia instead).

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518

I don't have it, I saw it online but wondered if anyone who does have it has any views.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,128

Haven't got one cos it wouldn't grow and flower well here. Needs warmth, shelter,sun and high light intensity. Do well in California & Australia. Verdun could grow it, not meimage

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 518

Buttercupdays, I'd be interested to know where you are too - I'm (obviously) in Leeds but aware this flowers Nov/Dec so it won't be warm and sunny anywhere in the UK. 

Online I see it says it should be somewhere warm and sheltered during summer for it to flower well in winter, which I think I have...

Maybe I need to phone somewhere that sells it to see if they think it would be ok 'up north'.  If not then it's back to the drawing board for me image

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Its not bright pink!

There is a white scented species.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,128

My garden lies just above the 400m contour on the Derbyshire/Cheshire border. It mostly faces south, but because of the height we get a lot of rain and a lot of cloud ('hill fog') and summers are shorter and often cool. 

C. japonica does well here, though I sometimes do grow one in the GH to enjoy the flowers without frost or wind damage. Don't get enough sun even in my GH for a sasanqua, can't even ripen tomatoes!

In your garden Andy you may have a good spot for it, we all have different microclimates, but you need to know to be able to choose wisely. I would love to be able to grow it, camellias are so beautiful and they look as if they should be perfumed, so it is a big disappointment that the common ones are notimage