To scarify or not and what are these?...

Hi all, new to this forum. I have the following questions, hope you can help... 1. I don't believe I have a thatch/moss problem (not certain), is it still necessary to scarify even when the grass looks healthy? 2. I do have random sprouts of non-grass, potentially weeds? If someone could look at the below two photos and confirm what they are please? http://188.223.254.204:8080/share.cgi?ssid=03Gk8kh http://188.223.254.204:8080/share.cgi?ssid=0ZC2B7X Many thanks.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,851

All I can get is "This share link is unavailable".

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Having a good go over with a tined rake is a good thing in spring.

You'll be surprised how much material you liberate.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

The second one is white clover, is the first one the same? I can't get in there

• Same here pansyface - and I've copied and pasted the whole sequence image

• Hi all, thanks for the responses so far and apologies for the images not working for some.

Please find below a re-post of the images:

to re-iterate and also expand the questions i have...

1. Is it necessary to scarify even when there is no visibile thatch/moss (do the attached photos of clover mean i need to scarify?) darren636 thank you for your reply, i understand this as it is generally good practice anyway?

2. once i scarify what's best to put down on the grass in terms of seed / nutrition?

3. shaded areas of my lawn are currently quite bare but if i use seeds suitable for shaded areas and then different seeds for the rest of the lawn would this be significantly visible or should i use the "suitable for shaded" seeds for the whole lawn?

many thanks.

• I think the first pic is self heal with a daisy flower bud coming through image

Sorry EnjoytheSun - I can't help with lawn care image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

I think the first is mostly daisy. Essential component of a lawn, along with the clover, selfheal and all the restimage 

These are the ones, especially the clover, that keep my lawn green in summer, the grass is brown

• Thank you both, I'd not heard of self-heal or realised the value in them and daisy on the lawn.