Best seed compost?

Any advice on which compost you have found to be best for sowing seeds please? Thanks

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,531

John Innes seed compost. Some of the more fibrous composts seem to invite trouble.

• Verve (John Innes No 1) Seed Compost from B&Q - this year I've had an almost 100% strike rate.

• Which? also recommended the Verve multi-purpose compost as being just as good as a seed compost, and much cheaper. I have used it for my tomato and some flower seeds, with good results so far.

• Lowey72Lowey72 Posts: 7
    Thank you
  • I just used all pupose compost and sifted it a few times - got in there with my hands and spread it around in a large sifter over a pot and picked out the few small stones.

Almost all seed packets and tips will say use seed compost or all purpose.I have had really good results.

• I have used a John Innes seed compost & when that ran out I used Blue Diamond but I am not sure what the exact name of the compost is only that we bought it from the Blue Diamond Garden Centre. I mix perlite or vermiculite with the compost.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,154

Aldi compost for seedlings - £1.49 a bag. It's good this year, hasn't been in previous years but appears much improved. Retains moisture well and my seedlings are romping away in it. 

• Jason millyJason milly Posts: 487

I AGREE with zoomer I have used aldi seedling compost and good results .

• Verve 'John Innes' Seed Compost from B&Q. Almost perfect strike rate on seeds.

• JI for me too, but it does vary a little, depending on the quality of the loam used.