Trachelospermum Jasminoidesserious problems

Last September I bought 15 Traelospermum Jasminoides, along with an equal amount of winter jasmin, honey suckle's, and two varieties of clematis.. 

The idea was to have some kind of climbers to cover our chain link fence in our garden.

All plants have took well apart from the Traelospermum Jasminoides, they are all in a bad way. If anyone could give some advice to try and save these plant I'd be very thankful. 

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Can't help with you question I'm afraid but how long is your fence?  That's a huge number of plants.

• Dyers End, 56 meters each side, 112 in total. 

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    They suffer when exposed to cold winds they need good drainage too
  • Hi, I have 2 in exactly the same condition. Glad it's not just mine!

I'm planning to move them into pots as I'm suspecting the spot was too frosty for them, and not as dry as I thought. Bit disappointed, they've barely grown up the trellis in 2 years. I've just picked up 2 new rambling roses to fill the space.

I'll be interested in tips from the forum on how to revive them as I'm planning to move mine into pots for the patio instead, and I'm not sure if cutting them back hard will help or not...
  • ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

If I had to take a guess, I'd say they have dried out. Dig one up and check if the rootball is still the same shape as the pot.

Very often plants roots need to be 'teased' out at planting time and given a lovely big hole filled with fresh soil to get them off to a good start.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

I really don't think these are tough enough for this. 

• Hi Nutcutlet, are you saying don't cut it back?

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    These plants , in the UK, need shelter from wind , warmth and good drainage.

I doubt they will survive in that location , unless you're in the south west.

Scratch the bottom of the stems with your finger nail, see if there's any green tissue under the brown bark.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,255

I'm in the south west and mine didn't survive the winter.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

8000wildflowers, I don't say don't cut it back. Just that mine, and all those I've seen in this area, have had nothing worth cutting back.

See what Darren says, that's my experience. Mine died and it was in a far more sheltered spot than this one.