Bird table

The birds eating at the bird table like to drop seeds and fat onto the gravel below. Grease balls are the main culprits. Lots of grass is coming up among the gravel; I don't want to use weed killer because of the dog, so has anyone any ideas as to how to stop this grass? I have a bad back and find the weeding difficult.

I've thought of maybe something like a tray fastened somehow under the table? Lost my husband recently, so it's up to me now to sort it out!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,539

Hi Snowy image

Sorry to hear about your sad loss. image

You can buy No Mess bird food which will not sprout.  Don't use the fat balls - I find there's much less waste from the suet cakes and blocks - the birds seem to prefer the ones with mealworms in them  http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/bird-food/suet-and-fat/suet-cakes-blocks.html

Hope that helps image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Snowy43........a tray fixed under the table would certainly help.

You can get weeding tools with long handles........usually you buy them in 2 parts....various handles and separate heads.  You can then stand upright and draw the tool head along the paving cracks.  Other than that, fill the gaps between the slabs and then just wash down the area as needed.  

Hope that is usefulimage

• Or you can just do what Dove says image  The No Mess food is what it says IME.....I just didn't think of thatimage

• snowy43snowy43 Posts: 118

Thank you both for your replies. Will buy the blocks,  and look for a weeding tool, which will be very useful.

Thanks Tetley, I do talk to myself, so can blame Molly! Have got a hoe, so now have lots of ideas to move forward.

That's a great motto. Thanksimage