New Moth

I found a chrysalis in a rather dangerous location last November so brought it inside. Yesterday, it started changing colour and this morning I got up to find an empty chrysalis and a new moth nearby.

Its wings were very green and soft, and it was very lethargic. A few hours later, it's already changed colour a bit and is more lively, though it still wants to just stay still and upright.

How long until I should take it outside? Tomorrow is supposed to rain, so I was hoping it would fly off on a dry, sunny day. Also, is it normal for things to have taken so long? I've no idea how long the chrysalis was there before November, but that's still at least five months.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,675

It's a butterfly rather than a moth.  Possibly a brimstone - one of the first to be seen out and about in the spring

http://butterfly-conservation.org/679-1310/brimstone.html

I would put it somewhere outside but in the dry.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• It isn't a Brimstone - they hibernate as adults which emerge in summer, and the wing tips are a different shape. It looks like a Small White or Large White butterfly.

• TomskTomsk Posts: 204

I took it to the garden and left it on a mini daffodil that had bloomed, however it's just stayed still for two days. Is this normal?

It rained a bit yesterday but not heavily. Today is bone dry, so surely it should have long gone flying off to look for food?

• They need warmth to be able to fly, so it probably needs a bit of sun, which has been in short supply recently. Butterflies have not been flying in my garden for the last few days because of the weather.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.