Forum home Plants

Help indentify a fragrant shrub/bush SOUTH OF FRANCE

TommyvbTommyvb Posts: 10

good morning all..

Im looking for some help on identifying a fragrant smelling shrub 

I'm currently out in Cannes (south of France)

i came across this shrub or bush a do love the Ell of it and thinking of buying one when back in the UK

Anyway I've tried various website showing pictures of leaves etc but cannot find a name 

I'm thinking its some sort of Jasmine as I already have a star Jasmine back home  and it's similar looking 

these shrubs I'm trying to find as scattered in peoples gardens here 10 a penny 

dark green smooth waxy leaves with small whit clusters of fragrance sweet flowers

ive seen them here in  france used to divide gardens or in large pots outside restaurants so they have a sweet smell wafting around entrances 

ill attach a photograph of the leaves and small white flowers and hopefully  one can help 

many thanks all in advance 

Tommy

http://webkit-fake-url://5aa76941-d0c6-475b-89fc-5fd4b09d1bfb/imagejpeg

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,415

Hi Tommy image

I'm afraid I can't see the picture - you need to click on the green tree icon to post a photo. If that doesn't work you could use a photo-hosting side and post the link.

I'm wondering whether the plants in question could be lemon trees or another type of citrus - the perfume from the flowers is gorgeous.

Does it look like this?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Lemon trees in pots outside restaurants is one of the things I remember from the south of France and Italy - mind you, I've not been to either for a while ... but I don't suppose things have changed that much .... image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TommyvbTommyvb Posts: 10

Hi again all 

sorry I'm new to this website and getting used to uloading. I think I'm now sorted the image 

please see attached 

well,I don't think it's a lemon tree because they seem to big some time it's more of a bush. Very light brown and hard stems... 

hope that helps

its deffonatly not a star confederate Jasmine as I have one of them back in the UK in my garden and they are different 

well hopefully can see from this photograph.. 

thanks again 

Looks a bit like a choisya ternata ... but not quite right ... image

I think it is.... I've googled it and they look very very similar 

thanks for advice image

• Maybe pittosporum tobira?

• I'm thinking of buying a fragrant Japanese tree peony will it survive in the midlands.

Think you may be right Nutcracker imageimage

It's not quite right for a choisya

Ahh yes I think it could be a pittosporum.. Looking more closely at photographs it's looks that what.. 

ahh well thank you all for advice .. Nailed it 

well hopefully I can find one for sale in the UK 

thanks all again