Creative ideas for a mystery corner please

Hi all, I haven't been around for a few weeks because other stuff keeps getting in the way. Anyway, finally had time to get some thoughts together and ask for some ideas for a garden feature that I'm planning.

I have done a lot of clearing in this corner over the past 18 months and want to create a little mystery corner here. I laid a mock path last year, deliberately making it narrower as it leads into the corner so that it would give the illusion of being longer than it is. I then wanted to get an old iron gate of some kind to put there,  possibly with a mirror behind it, so that it looked as if it was going to a secret place.   

Now, by a lucky coincidence, I have acquired a very old, rusty, wrought iron gate from the new neighbour who lives behind that corner. He mentioned that he was taking it to the tip so I saved him the trouble and collected it from him on my wheelbarrow!   

So now that I have the gate, I need to work out how to create the illusion. I can fix it in place with some posts but I can't decide what to put each side of it to make it look convincing. In my original plan I was going to use rocks but now that I have the gate I'm worried that it will look odd as the gate is wider than the end of my path. I'm wondering about something shrubby that will disguise the bottom of the gate and maybe also something to climb up it and make the actual gate look narrower.   

This is a mock up that I did using an art doodle app to give you an idea what I am rambling about!   

Any suggestions how to make this work? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,594

Maybe if the gate is partially open the difference in width won't show, and it would also look more as if it's inviting you to explore ...?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

Now there's a clever idea! I knew this would be the right place to ask. image 

Any thoughts on a plant to grow each side of the gate to disguise the bases And help them blend with the surroundings? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,980

How about putting in a simple bit of fence either side and growing some climbers on it to blend with the other planting. 

You could also open the path out a little as it meets the gate with a wider area of gravel. Some low growing evergreen ground cover will help it all merge.

Osmanthus or Lonicera nitida will cover the gaps too if you don't want a fence. Happy in shade and both evergreen and easy to maintain. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SparklesJDSparklesJD Posts: 344

l love this!

How about a small water feature, then you'll have a lovely water sound-effect? The ferns will like that too.

A Green Man tile or a sundial?

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Definitely ferns, it looks shady, and tall white foxgloves.

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll go and research some ferns maybe and work out how to fix the gate so it looks slightly open. 

• I love it, what is the beautiful tree? 

The red leaved tree is some kind of ornamental cherry, I think. When we moved here a couple of years ago it was completely smothered with shrubs in front of it, ivy and clematis all over the trunk and up into the canopy and an evergreen shrub that I haven't identified which was also growing up through it. The tree is looking much better since we cleared a lot of stuff out of it and let the light in. I have a photo of that corner somewhere from when we moved in. I'll see if I can find it.

September 2014