Can you have too many different plants?

Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 499

Watching one of 'Big Dreams Small Spaces' I think there was mention of having 7-10 different plants in a garden.

Where I can see this would 'flow', I was wondering if people here stick to a restricted number of plants or just get what they like?

Being relatively new to this gardening lark, I've been lured into buying lots (for me) of different shrubs, bulbs, herbaceous perennials - far more than the 10 'suggested' maximum.

Not that I'm going to change my approach, just interested to see what other people do / think.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,850

Absolute tosh.

It's your garden, have what you want.

Devon.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,492

The design ideal is to have a few varieties tastefully placed throughout the garden. It give cohesion and continuity, and it does not allow you to indulge your passion for all those lovely things that you would like to see in your garden. My garden is a mess because I like to grow a lot of different things. I do not care, and neither should you.

• SparklesJDSparklesJD Posts: 344

I have 5 varieties of clematis alone! No hope for me image

It might work in more formal gardens I suppose? I'm more of the 'bung it in and see what happens' school...

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,492

The more the merrier as far as the bees are concerned. A restricted pallette can cut down on the amount of pollen and nectar available to insects.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,850

I think I'm at about 20 different Clematis, over 100 varieties of Hosta, about 40 different Agapanthus.

If you have a tiny courtyard garden, certainly I'd restrict the number, however, there is no "magic" number, any more than there is a magic number for pairs of shoes, or shirts or handbags or books or anything else for that matter.

Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 6,375

Grow what you fancy. Plant more if you like them. Dig them out if you don't.

It's your garden.

My garden is full of different plants some I just grow for the pleasure  or the challenge of it and some have planted themselves. If they look tasteful, great. If not, so what!

You could try to have seven types of  plants but I don't think mother nature has got around to watching the programme.   Some of the most striking combinations of plants come from self-seeded ' weeds'

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,915

I can't have too many plantsimage

But I've often got too many waiting to be planted out and no garden ready to receive themimage

• Totally believe you can never, ever have too many different varieties of plants!  Soooooo many plants soooooo little time! image image

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 499

I kind of thought this would be the response.  Like I said, I'm not going to change my approach anyway from the 'buy what I want' - as B3 says I can dig stuff out if I want.

Does anyone conform to this approach?  I'm assuming not image

• B3B3 Posts: 6,375

The whole approach is about not conforming unless you want to

In London. Keen but lazy.