Forum home Plants

Anemone

Angela 17Angela 17 Posts: 74

Hi all,

bought a white  anemone and it says plant at soil level, its  2 pieces of stringy root. do I just put it lying on top of soil and cover lightly  or will I put it in a pot until it grows. That soil level thing has me confused, usually just dig a hole,  put things in and they grow image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Plant vertically Angela, just insert a trowel and pop them in down the side of it. Once you have them they're there for life.

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

they may take a few years to really establish, but after that they can be overeager. I pull them u by the hundred every spring after blooming-which they've just started here.

I started them horizontally just slightly covered with light soil.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

Different anemones being talked about here I think...which kind do you have Angela? Is it a Japanese anemone ( late summer/autumn flowering) or the wood anemone which flower just now?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

Because of the description of the roots I was assuming nemerosa.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270

I'd have thought nemerosa would not be on sale in that form at this time of year - it should be well into growth if not flowering.

Sounds more like Japanese anemones to me - Anemone x hybrida.   Mine are just getting into growth at the moment.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Angela 17Angela 17 Posts: 74

Its Anemone Honorine Jobert - "elegant flowers on tall stems" height 120 cm. late summer flowering.

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    I'll take your throw - always Davids 10 !!!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,555

Yes , Honorine Joubert is as Dove suggests. 

Nice oneimage

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Honorine joubert is a cracking plant. Can get out of control but every garden should have a clump - great for later in the year.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270
    Angela 17 wrote (see)

Hi all,

bought a white  anemone and it says plant at soil level, its  2 pieces of stringy root. do I just put it lying on top of soil and cover lightly  or will I put it in a pot until it grows. That soil level thing has me confused, usually just dig a hole,  put things in and they grow image

Two pieces of root - are they joined together?  If so the join is the top of the plant. 

I'd put them in a two litre pot of John Innes No 2 loam based compost with some added leafmould and a bit of horticultural grit.  Plant with the top just at the surface of the soil and put some grit on top.

Place in a semi-shaded corner of the garden and stand well back image

You'll soon get a decent sized plant ready to plant out into the garden.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh