Forum home Tools and techniques

Cardboard

2»

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Definitely a good thing to do.

If you don't want to cover the land, another good thing to do with large quantites of cardboard is pack the broken-down boxes tightly into one box, with all the corrugations running vertically.  Put it behind the shed and wee into it every couple of days. Makes brilliant compost.

Small quantities, of course, can be torn up and put on the compost heap.

• The worms seem to especially love corrugated cardboard. It’s always good to get them working away for you. As the card or paper disintegrates it adds its carbon directly into the soil. Then the grass clippings get drawn down and eaten as well. The improvement to the soil is tremendous. Initially, our soil was very poor with hardly a worm to be found. Not surprising when there’s little organic matter for them to eat. After mulching the worm population increases and the rest of the soil ecology along with them. They’re busy concentrating nutrients in their gut so worm casts are perfect for plants. 

The tunnels they create are also extremely valuable in this process, enabling oxygen to get down further into the soil. This aids both the plant roots directly and fuels the aerobic economy of the soil. It’s a slow process but after just three years the difference in the soil is obvious. It’s darker, deeper, and richer.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,168
    We cover our raised beds at the allotment with manure, and then membrane, over the Winter.  Weeds such as bindweed and brambles still come up under the membrane, and poke out the sides.  With cardboard and manure, you can probably still expect those two particular weeds to appear (as the cardboard will turn to mush very quickly, and the manure will help feed the weeds).  Smaller annual/perennial weeds will probably be killed off, but try to make the manure as thick as possible.  If you can cover the whole thing in plastic/membrane (over the top of the manure/cardboard), better still, as that will really cut out the light.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 601
    The No Dig method advocates wetting the cardboard before putting on the top layer (muck, compost, whatever). I did this last year with grass I wanted to convert to border. Admittedly, I used soil from an old turf stack and compost but it has been a huge success. To help further, I planted potatoes this year. The soil now has a beautiful, crumbly structure.