Forum home Wildlife gardening

Swallows, swifts and martins - have you seen them yet?

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,256

I was thinking yesterday, as I drove around East Anglia, that the swallows, swifts and martins will be here soon.

This morning PottiePam posted that she saw a flock of swallows arriving over the sea at Perranporth on the North Cornish coast.  image

Shall we keep track of their arrival?  Have you seen any yet?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

No not yet Dove, but can't wait for their arrival. I love to sit out in the garden in the early evening and watch them ! We are lucky to have a farm up the lane and flocks of them return  to the old barn and outbuildings.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,256

I grew up on a farm with swallows nesting in the barns and housemartins under the eaves of my bedroom - I watched them collecting mud from the edge of the pond and swooping low over it on the summer evenings, hoovering up the gnats. 

Then at our last house (early Victorian terrace with pantiled root) we had many swifts nesting in the roof, and we woke on summer mornings to the sounds of them screaming as they flew past our window.

Now we're living near the marshes, and we watch them hunting insects over our heads.

Not seen any this year tho' ...................................yet image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,099

Hi Dove,

Usually mid-April here in southern Scotland .... will keep you posted.

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

Ah yes it's truly a wonderful sight to watch them in hunt mode, its like a beautiful dance display.

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Last year we had martins here second week of April, the earliest I've ever seen them.

Nothing so far
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315

None here in NW Devon.

Devon.
  • JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

First pair of swallows have arrived here in North East Wales. They flew straight back into my garden shed - I did give it a spring clean - Just hope it was worth the journey for them!! image

• I always look forward to seeing them each year, they usually build a nest against our house but last ear the mud wouldn't stick, fingers crossed they are more successful this year! I'm in East Yorkshire so I shall be keeping an eye out over the next few weeks image 

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,171

None down here yet near the pyrenees, but warblers and redstarts are arriving back now.