Forum home Garden design

Ugly patio!

2»

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You won't be pouring concrete pinkpepper you'll be using a trowel. If it's that wet you've added too much water. You need the consistency of whipped cream, it should sit on the trowel and not slip off.

• sorry Dave, I don't think I've been very clear. Yes, I will do what you suggest and brush dry cement into the cracks between the paving slabs. And sort the wall.

But I mean pouring concrete for the area under the blue sand pit which is approx. the size of 3 paving slabs but was left unpaved and is currently filled with pebbles and weeds instead. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Well just dig that small area out and lay some new slabs. You'll need a bed of sharp sand and cement mix 3to1 and it'll look like new. If you try to concrete that small area it will look out of place. Plus it's easier than smoothing concrete, you'll need fewer tools as well. New slabs will give instant results.

• Brilliant! Thanks Dave!

• Ooh good idea Dave, thanks.

Any tips on pouring concrete ( I'll obviously remove the weeds and pebbles)?

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Try and pick up some old slabs for the missing ones. They will not stand out as much as new slabs. Try freecycle or equivalent. A pressure washer will make a difference. Use it either before repointing cracks/spaces or well after - you don't want your new repointing to be blasted away!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thanks Hogweed!