Woodland path ideas

Does anybody have any suggestions for or experiences of creating a path in a woodland garden? I was hoping to make one without cement, and it won't be long, just a few metres.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,191

Ours is lined with a thick layer of weed suppressant fabric topped with chipped bark.   The sides are cement/concrete log roll effect to hold it all in place.   We tried proper log roll but it does rot.    We needed to renew the bark layer last spring but that's cheap and easy to do.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • You can buy wood effect stepping stone in various colours as its only a few meters or actual wood stepping stones if you prefer non concrete path
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004

I think I'd go with obelixx's suggestion. It fits exactly with the setting. Depending on what planting you have, you'd barely even need a defined edge - the bark could be a general layer/mulch in the whole area. If you need a definite path edge and can't get logs for any reason,  some hefty timber poles pegged into place will do the job perfectly well. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Denno666Denno666 Posts: 107

Thanks for the replies, I think the weed suppressant fabric is a good idea, I shall definitely have to get some of that, and by coincidence, I've just picked up 2 bags of bark (quite cheaply) at B & M - £2.49 each, haven't opened them yet but I'm always one for a bargain! image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,169

Our woodland path is as that of Obelixx, though the edges are  half logs. They have lasted 20 years and are only now beginning to rot. The bark comes from our own shredding.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,879

edge the pathway with fallen branches as it'll hold the chippings in place and give a more natural look

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,169

And use the best quality weed suppressant fabric. The cheap stuff does not last very long at all, false economy really.

• In our woodland we have flat (ish) topped local sandstone as stepping stones, sunk into the ground, 3 years and none have moved - lovely ageing and looks very natural - contrasts well with plants/bark and is a sublte detail
  • Denno666Denno666 Posts: 107

Thanks everyone - Berghill, thanks for that, I was looking online for some and there is some going quite cheap but I might go for a better quality one now.

And come to think of it, I was outside yesterday trying to remove some branches that have grown into the fence (so the wire is entombed inside, gahh!) and noticed a pile of branches that I'd forgotten about, so I could make use of them.