Forum home The potting shed

Dahlias

The tubers which have broken away from the main  mass of the plant throughout winter , can I do anything with them except  disregard them ?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,611

Only if they have a shoot left from last year,  If they are just the tubers you may as well dump them, they don't grow out of the tuber.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• granmagranma Posts: 1,925

They're for dumping then!

Thanks x

• New dahlia shoots come fro the collar at the base of the old stalk. If your tubers have com away from the collar,I'm sorry to say they will not produce shoots. Throw them away.   70 years of dahlia growing   Best wishes Horace Hartley

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,264
    Horace, only been growing Dahlia's for a few years. Had good success with growing from seed and can keep tubers over winter but they never seem to grow again.

I planted about 20 saved tubers last week in pots and are now in GH. What am I doing wrong, compost is just damp. Some tubers had white shoots so l've planted these with shoots just below compost level. What next!
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,925

Is this the same for peonies that have broken off the main clump,? I thought as I did with dahlias ......that they would make new,plants. 

•  If you have saved last years itubers  or bought new ones  set them up in seed trays and add multipurpose compost  working it down between the tubers  But keep the collar at the base of the old stem clear . I sometimes give a little. Warm water if the tubers are wrinkled and appear very dry After 2 - 3 weeks shoots should appear,..When they are about  3to4 inches high cut the shoot off  just below a leaf stalk leaving about a quarter of an inch of the shoot still on the tuber. You should get further shoots from that stub   I dip the base of the shoot in Seradix rooting powder and fill a 3in pot with vermiculite and give it a watering . Keep the pot just damp not wet and it should show growth within 10 days   Look at the bottom of the pot and plant in multipurpose or soil to grow on as soon as roots appear at the drainage holes Replant in soil or multipurpose  grow on till the third week in May to avoid frosts I cover the roots or tubers with about 3 inches of soil  You may phone me on 01322. 442928 if you need help.  Good luck. Horace  

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,902

I suggest you remove your phone number H. You never know what odd calls you might get. Send it to folks in a PM.

Dahlia tubers are reputed to be edible when roasted. BUT Don't take my word for it. I have never tried them.