Forum home Wildlife gardening

Best plants for MICRO pond?

hey, in winter i made this micro pond in my garden, i was wondering which plants are best for this small size? i need oxygenating plants and also wildlife plants, and some marginals too, but nothing thats going to take over etc

many thanks! id like to get this sorted asap

the pond is around 2 bricks in depth and 3 bricks wide (as in the pic below)

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,243
    How did the micro pond go in 2015?

Posted: 04/06/2015 at 20:30.

Was it a success?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • HeftyHefty Posts: 370

ah well i decided if i was going to do it then i might as well make it as big as possible, before it was just a shallow washing up bowl sunk into the ground, so i changed it for a plastic tub instead, which is in the above pic image 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,243

To be honest, I don't think that you have enough depth or volume to cope with winter frosts and summer heat. I imagine that it will also slowly fill with dead leaves and other wind-blown detritus until you have an anaerobic mess.

Sorry.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315

I had a "pond" in  my last garden. It was a hot water header tank. about 600x 450 x 450 deep. It had frogs a plenty, but I just grew hostas around to create enough shade so it didn't get too hot.

I have to say , I'm with pansyface, I think it's way too small to be anything other than a drinking station.

Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,147

I have to agree with Hosta and pansyface. You seem to have a decent amount of room there to make something a good bit bigger Hefty. How about getting some liner and digging out a bigger hole with a bit more depth? That will give you more scope for planting and offer a much better area for wildlife in general. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• HeftyHefty Posts: 370

ah no thats not good to hear, its pretty wedged in now

hmmm...........ok so at least i can make it look nice with some plants and flowers etc - have to give up on having a Mr Frog come and visit image