Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hanging Baskets

Hey guys,

I'm sure this question would have been asked a 100 times so apologies if I should be searching elsewhere for the answer.

I'm looking to create some hanging baskets this year (having never done so before) but I'm not entirely sure what size plants to buy. I don't know whether I should buy plugs, jumbo plugs, posti plugs, mini plugs, super plugs, hair plugs! You name it! Ideally what I want to do is just place the plant(s) into the pot without having to worry about them dying because I haven't cared for them enough or they only produce a small amount of flowers because I didn't grow them on correctly.

Any help would be great. The plants I am interested in at the moment are Begonias, Petunias & Lobelia.

Thanks,

Lloyd

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

If you plant up the basket with plug plants then you are going to have to grow them on in a sheltered place, preferably a greenhouse, until they are big enough to fend for themselves in the big, wide and windy world. If you don't have a greenhouse spare for the baskets then it is best to buy mature plants that are ready to flower and this can be done in late April or May, depending on where you live and the likelihood of late frosts.

The smaller the plug plant, the longer it will take to get to a size when it will flower so if you are wedded to the idea of plugs, get something large.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

I find I get better results with mature plants as I have no greenhouse for smaller ones.

Last year I tried plug plants and it was a bit of a let down.

Depends really how many baskets you have to do and which way is cost effective.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Thanks for the responses. 

I think it makes sense if I wait for the mature plants then and plant these in the baskets.

I live in Cardiff, Wales and have a south facing garden so the baskets should get a lot of sun.

Guess it's patience until they are available as mature plants then.

Any suggestions on the best place to buy?

Thanks again.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

I go all over,local nursery,car boots,local market and supermarkets.

The beauty of mature plants is that most of the hard work has been done and you can see what you are getting

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

A decent local nursery is the place to look.