Wisteria

I bought a wisteria from a small plant about 8 years ago and it has never flowered I brought this plant because of the beautiful flowers but so disheartened because it has never flowered I have pruned it many times every year it has loads of healthy green leaves but to no avail no flowers please help as I am seriously thinking of digging it up ????

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 320

Wisteria takes about 7 years to flower I think. Do you know whether it's a grafted plant? Do you prune it correctly?

• Eek injust ordered one online....I thought it flowered straight away....
  • MarygoldMarygold Posts: 320

Shirley K It may do. It depends how big (old) it is. Mine is a grafted plant but still took 2 or 3 years before it flowered. I've heard they take about 7 years if grown from seed. Be patient, it's worth the wait and effort when they do flower.image When it arrives, look to see whether it's got some short stubbly side shoots. These are the ones that flower. What will you be growing it against/over or is it one of those "standard" trained ones?

• Im hoping to grow it against a fence at the moment there ia rubble between the fence and concrete blocks.......Hopefully Marygold.  Ill try upload a picture when it arrives - I went a little OTT ordered some ivy clematis and jasmine too.........

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,153

I bought a fair sized Wisteria 5 years ago from a good garden centre and it has never flowered.  It has been pruned 'properly' for 3 years.  It's on its final warning but looking at the buds, once again they look like leaf buds not flower buds.  A second one bought last year looks as if it has flower buds and leaf buds.  They have both been treated the same and are planted along the same fence.  Wisteria are a mystery to me.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Ryan180680Ryan180680 Posts: 57

Th S is the 3rd year for our wisteria. first year we got lots of growth  from the shoots high was great but no flowers. Last year we got flowers but no growth which was disappointing as I assumed it would grow more. This year I can see flower buds but will it grow! I'm hoping for it to grow around the fence on the patio but I'm not confident it will after last year

• LynLyn Posts: 8,810

Ryan, I have one sounds similar to yours, but no flowers yet.

There did used to be an expert on here, hope he still pops in, mine has not grown in height but it's wider and puts on new growth every year, no flowers.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Wisteria can take 20 years to flower if grown from seed.

Has yours got a graft visible?
  • Ryan180680Ryan180680 Posts: 57
    Does it take a few years for roots to establish before it grows in width? I'm hoping mine gets bigger this year
  • darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    It should grow in all directions every summer- trunk, roots and stems