Forum home Garden design

What plant or shrub or...?

I hope this is the right place... I'm currently trying to take my garden from overgrown, abandoned mess to somewhere that looks nice and provides a play space for my daughter.

There's a rectangle shape been dug out right by my garden fence and I'm looking for something to plant there. It also happens to be right next to what appears to be several branches growing out of the same spot in the ground.. I haven't lived here long so couldn't tell you what it looks like when/if it flowers! I wouldn't mind getting rid of it. My mum is terminally ill - I'd like us to plant it together as a beautiful place for me to sit and remember her in the future. But I don't have a clue where to even start... As mentioned it's right next to my fence and near my window so something small is preferred to not interfere with the neighbours garden or block out light through my window.

I also want to take the front of my garden, along the fence, from grass to a small, easy to maintain border that'll provide something year round. Possible?!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,903

Hi Toni image  sorry to hear about your mum's illness - I hope you and your daughter can spend some lovely happy times with her and we'll help you sort the garden out.

Can you post us some pictures of the garden and the plants you have there to give us some idea of your options.

To post a photo you need to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions - it sometimes takes a while to upload.  If it doesn't work let us know and we'll try to help.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,504

Hello Toni, we need to know too if it's in sun or shade.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Why don't u plant mop head hydranger.they are best grown in partial shade. They will bloom from mid summer to autumn.